Got a Small Flats Boat? Looking for Ideas

MontanaAardvark

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, Gang,

I'm a new member here, and looking around for ideas. I have a 16' Aluminum boat (Starcraft), bought (used) several months ago, and fish the brackish water of east central Florida. It's a side console boat with a wooden deck, fishing chairs, and a live bait well.

Ideally, I'd love to see folks post pictures of their boats and any info on the setup that might help. Anything between, oh, 14 to 18' or so, I'd love to see.

I'm trying to figure out how to set up my boat to be more fishable. The boat usually carries just my wife and I, and right now has only 3 vertical rod holders. I'd like another two or three rods. I'm just not sure how to change what I've got. Let me stick a picture here of how she looks right now, in my garage.
Boat_Port.jpg

You can't tell, but I don't have a poling platform, pole or trolling motor, although that might go on soon.

This isn't my first boat, but it has been 20 years or so since I had the last one and spent time in shallow water fishing for, well, basically anything. I find myself really behind the tech - in my day, the choice was basically monofilament or braided Dacron for heavy fishing; now there's micro braid, and fluorocarbon to catch up with. I usually fish bucktails or soft tails, and have tied my own jigs forever, but I'm sure there are new lures to learn, too.

Those of you in the northern reaches may not think this way, but mid-summer is "off-season" and the ideal time to work on your boat around here - roughly the same as your mid-winter. Fishing is either done at night or at first light. I usually plan to get out near dawn and head for the ramps by 10.

Thanks
Bob

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Got a Small Flats Boat? Looking for Ideas

Hi Aardvark. Cool little boat you got there. I suppose the best set up for you will depend on what you want to do with her. If you're looking for a purely utilitarian fishing rig I'd convert it to a tiller drive skiff like we run down here in FL to get into all the shallow water, but that's not very practical if you want to take the wife and kids out in relative comfort on a regular basis and it may not be very good on the big rocky rivers up there. However, if you're thinking more family/fun boat I would keep it a side console and add one seat next to you as well as one more behind. That way you'd end up with 4 individual seats with lots of open area in, around and beneath them for storage. Check out microskiff.com, tinboats.net and here in the Resto forums for ideas and inspiration.

Only a few rules when it comes to aluminum boats. 1.) NEVER use PRESSURE TREATED wood. It will eat through the hull. Instead get non-PT exterior grade plywood and seal it with either epoxy, fiberglass mat & resin, or Spar Urethane. 2) Use Stianless Steel hardware dipped in 3M 5200 marine caulk and/or aluminum rivets throughout the boat. 3.) To paint, sand with 220 grit paper, wipe down with acetone, apply a light dusting of Zinc Chromate Self-etching primer, then the top coat(s) of your choice. You can get virtually everything you need from Lowes/HD with the exception of the epoxy and fiberlgass supplies.

Can't wait to see what you do with her! Keep us posted.

Here's my old girl.

Before:
Boat2.jpg

After:
front 3.jpgFront side 4.jpgBeach shot 2.jpg

MontanaAardvark

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input. Actually, I'm south of you, on the Indian River - middle of the east coast of Florida. Closest inlet is Sebastian.

The tiller steering is a little farther than I was thinking of going, but the rest isn't. How big is that little guy?

This is a downsize from my first good fishing boat, a 20' center console (Dusky). I really liked the vertical rod storage on the console, but this one doesn't have that option. The biggest issue with the 3 rod holder I have is that it's in the way to getting up on the "casting platform". My wife is up for fishing, and would put up with most everything, so I kind of have a free hand.

Bob

Hi Aardvark. Cool little boat you got there. I suppose the best set up for you will depend on what you want to do with her. If you're looking for a purely utilitarian fishing rig I'd convert it to a tiller drive skiff like we run down here in FL to get into all the shallow water, but that's not very practical if you want to take the wife and kids out in relative comfort on a regular basis and it may not be very good on the big rocky rivers up there. However, if you're thinking more family/fun boat I would keep it a side console and add one seat next to you as well as one more behind. That way you'd end up with 4 individual seats with lots of open area in, around and beneath them for storage. Check out microskiff.com, tinboats.net and here in the Resto forums for ideas and inspiration.

Only a few rules when it comes to aluminum boats. 1.) NEVER use PRESSURE TREATED wood. It will eat through the hull. Instead get non-PT exterior grade plywood and seal it with either epoxy, fiberglass mat & resin, or Spar Urethane. 2) Use Stianless Steel hardware dipped in 3M 5200 marine caulk and/or aluminum rivets throughout the boat. 3.) To paint, sand with 220 grit paper, wipe down with acetone, apply a light dusting of Zinc Chromate Self-etching primer, then the top coat(s) of your choice. You can get virtually everything you need from Lowes/HD with the exception of the epoxy and fiberlgass supplies.

Can't wait to see what you do with her! Keep us posted.

Here's my old girl.

Before:
View attachment 156776

After:
View attachment 156777View attachment 156779View attachment 156780

kfa4303

Banned

It's just a little 14' aluminum Arkansas Traveler runabout/skiboat turned tiller skiff thingy. I think it's a '59-'60 model. As you can see, the cap was long gone when I got it, so I just tried to make do and deck out the front and replace the benches. The tiller extender, grab bar and jackplate stuff all came later, but they've made a huge difference in handling and performance. Before, all I could do was sit on the rear bench and use the stock tiller, which reduced my visibility and kept all the weight aft. I now have most of the weight in the middle/centerline of the boat and the grab bar lets me stand up while underway so I can actually see where I'm going, which is nice. It's really handy when you're trying to dodge oyster bars, manatees and tourists all at once. I've also made some other accessories like a hand-powered bilge pump and rod holders and push pole clips. They're nothing fancy, but they work great and only cost a few bucks each. As for rod holders, I like mounting them along the rubrail/gunnel to keep them out of the way. (I've never understood why so many folks put them right in their line of sight?) Mine are on the rear starboard side and never get in the way. All of the pieces in my holders are dry-fitted together without glue so that I can add, or subtract as many extra holders from the assembly as I like. The hole thing is mounted onto the rubrail with small SS sheet metal screws.

PVC pushpole clips (Also mounted on rubrail with SS screws):

0617121519-02.jpg20120617202745.jpg

PVC rod holders:
20120106164631.jpg

PVC manual bilge pump:
20120106164612.jpg0106121628-00.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

One day I hope to have one of these..........nom, nom, nom, drool, drool, drool. Her name is "La Flaca" (the skinny lady). Not bad for something a guy built in his garage!

Nice 1.jpgNice 5.jpgNice 3.JPG

MontanaAardvark

Seaman Apprentice

That is really sweet! "La Flaca" for sure. Very skinny profile - probably best in very skinny water.

I know that guys take Hewes bonefishers offshore, and other "flats boats" in the same length class as my 16 footer, and I think I could do so on calm days, when conditions are just right. I need more time on the water before I attempt that. It has been 20 years.

kfa4303

Banned

Yeah she's pretty, but kind of a one trick pony, I'm afraid. Personally, I need a little more gunnel. I know a lot of guys that go way off shore (miles) in their skinny boats, but I'm a wuss :) I try to stay in sight of land/lighthouses at all times and tend take the slow and steady approach to getting places (and back again). Plus, she's almost too pretty to touch. I kind of like that I can bang my tinny around a bit and it only helps to develop the "character".

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

Pretty much all you can really do in just add some rod holders, maybe another baitwell, just fish it and figure out your needs. I really wouldn't waste time or money on a poling platform, you can sight cast from the bow. Maybe a jack plate might help you butif you really want a true technical flats skiff you prolly should sell that boat and buy a good used Hewes or something.