Good reason to always transom strap (even short trips) Repaired

JDA1975

Lieutenant
So this guy calls me up and says, I dont know how, but my guide rail support punched through my hull, when I arrived I noticed he had no transom straps, so I told him in my opinion he hit a bump, the boat bounced and impaled itself....it was a perfect puncture, no drag/tear, so it had to come down straight on it

unfortunately I failed to take a pic while it was still stuck in there, but it was in as far as the white goes down the rail

06122012053.jpg

went ahead and ground down the area, cleaned it up and did alternating CSM and cloth 12 layers thick, I cupped the area to repair so that it ended up smoothing out pretty nice

06122012051.jpg

06122012052.jpg

tomorrow I will fair it smooth and prime/paint it, he doesnt want to worry about it being different since it is on the bottom and I tend to agree

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Good reason to always transom strap (even short trips) Repaired

Are you going to do any inside glassin ?

How far up did that thing have to Jump to be impaled by a trailer guide ?

YD.

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: Good reason to always transom strap (even short trips) Repaired

I am not doing inside glass, its in an area that I cannot cut access without some major work on the interior, so I went extra thick on the outside and cupped it to allow for a thicker repair, not optimal but should hold in the location it punctured.

I would estimate it had to bounce a good 7" to impale itself, since it was such a clean puncture it is the only thing I could think, his side board was knocked off and he is sure it was there when he drove it onto trailer. Its the only explanation that made any sense to me, and when I told him what the eyes on transom and trailer were for (straps) he said ohhhhh, did not know you had to strap it down...I also had him add a safety chain to the winch because he was relying wholely on the winch strap to hold boat on!