Good Question ?

sonny08

Cadet
Looking at a 2004 Trophy 1802 with a 125 Merc saltwater outboard - has full canvas enclosure - radio - fishfinder - 2 electric cannon downriggers - also has a full Bimini that attaches to the stern of the boat providing stand up protection - has around 100 hours - 1 senior owner - offered at $14,500

Also looking at a 2004 Striper - has the full canvas enclosure ( No stand up Bimini to the stern) radio - fishfinder & large color GPS & sonar. Now this boat has live wells (2) water wash down - cd stereo sirrus - nice swim platform & ladder. Boat has less than 30 hours - 2nd owner boat. Power is a 3.0 Merc I/O - I had a 2003 3.0 Merc in another boat & it was awesome - offered at $16,500

Boats are about 400 miles apart so I am trying to narrow down my search by getting some experienced opinions from the fine folks here on *iboats*

My offer will be Cash - so I'm sure that the Striper owner needs to come down some - the Trophy owner may come down a nickle -

Which boat hull would ride a chop better? power source which is better? Overall which boat is a better purchase?

Sonny

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Good Question ?

I've had neither boat.....however, I believe you are talking about the walkarounds of both boat builders, and I've heard great things about both boats in the 2004 model year (some older trophies were a problem in the 1980s and 1990s I understand). I know a gentleman who used the Striper 1850 for a cruising boat for years and was greatly satisfied. I don't believe there is a strong preference for either boat, they are both mid-tier boats, and probably good ones.

That leads us to the shape of the boats themselves. How well maintained are they, how well maintained is the engine, stored outside, inside?? I have a preference for outboards, but that is my preference, maybe not yours. You must look each boat over. I don't think I would dismiss either boat based solely on brand name. YMMV....

sonny08

Cadet

yes they are both Walk Arounds - In checking out both bulder websites, it appears that the Trophy maybe a better made hull - I like the xtra foam that they inject & how the hull is molded together for added strength - quite impressive really. And I also like the fact of less maintenance with the outboard. Would love for someone to chime in that has one of these 125 Mercs & also one of these hulls

Sonny

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

another suggestion, since this topic seems to be getting little play. 1) you might do a search on this forum for both 1802 and 1850 and see what you get. We have some members that have these boats....I know mole2 used to have an 1802 and liked it, and traded up for a trophy 22 or 24 footer, and jeffnick has traveled extensively in a striper 1850. You might also check other forums, the stripers owners club and the bayliners owners club....just a couple of thoughts....

sonny08

Cadet

Updated - Decided to pass on the 1802 - Boat has a known defect in how it drains - water can collect in the cabin, causing wet carpet. If the boat is trailered water will make its way down to the bilge in the stern. However if boat is kept dockside , bow sits low & water can flow up into the cabin, soaking the carpet etc.

Also Thought this boat was all fiberglass & composite , but research shows it has wood in the transom , & stringers are all wood , not necessarily a bad thing but with the drainage problem I wish to take no chances with mold - rot etc

Sonny