Good deed for the month

Marada92

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was out at the local bass pro this past weekend and they had a few of the new tahoe bowriders sitting on the parking lot. Being in the depressed mood I was in since earlier in the day I realized that my little 20 year old bowrider was in need of a full transom-stringer restoration... I decided I'd atleast go sit in a new boat to see if it helped the mood. Found a 21 footer with the 5.0 V8 in it and got to looking around trying to get some ideas for my soon to be project. Beautiful boats to say the least.. Well it was beautiful until I opened up the engine hatch. Somehow something had completely plugged the drain hole which had let over two foot of water collect inside the boat! Half of the engine block was submerged along with all of the wiring going to the battery and seeing as how we haven't had that much rain it's been like that for a good month! So being the good boater I am I climbed out.. Unplugged the drain hole and went on my way. Would figure the store would keep a look out for those thing. Been nice if I was in the market for a new boat.. Couldve got a nice deal on that water logged $30,000 tahoe! Lesson learned.. Just because they say it's new.. Doesn't mean your getting something that's perfect.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Re: Good deed for the month

thats what i love about boaters,we always care about these things, regardless of situation, we will do what ever it takes to make things right,even if it ruins our days fishing trip.There no better feeling than helping another person on the water and any place else.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I played in the same model boat.. Shame of it is.. You can't get that huge thing with a 350..

Way to go on helping out BassPro.. They should give you a discount... Everything there is high

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thats what i love about boaters,we always care about these things, regardless of situation, we will do what ever it takes to make things right,even if it ruins our days fishing trip.There no better feeling than helping another person on the water and any place else.

Jesus taught that over 2,000 years ago and it still stands to this day. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen enough. I agree with jj. Great job in just doing the right thing. :)

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nice work. Now the second question is - did the $30,000 price tag make you feel better about your upcoming project?

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

You've just earned yourself 72 virgins man!! J/K.

Great to hear there are still good peeps out there.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

although I don't know if it was much of a good deed...

The damage was done, that didn't change. What did change is that now that boat is going to be sold to a customer, without any knowledge of the damage. If the plug stayed in, at least someone from the dealership would have eventually figured it out, and they wouldn't have sold it in that condition.

(i'm going under the assumption that the engine didn't have water in it, but the starter got wet. once its drained its going to be hard to tell there was water in there, at least visibly. The starter/alternator is going to fail in a couple months, and the foam is probably quite wet, but without a very thorough inspection, it isn't going to be obvious)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This how the BassPro near me seems to treat many of their new Trackers and Tahoes. Last winter there was a yellow and black Tahoe sitting out all winter getting repeatedly filled with snow. This winter is was a Tracker. I feel sorry for whomever buys those.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Way to go! I'm not sure I'd buy a boat off the Basspro show room after all the customer abuse they take.

Seems like our last few trips to the lake we've lent helping hands, too. Two trips back, a fellow was retrieving a submerged boat by towing it to a nearby bridge to winch onto trailer. He needed help getting all the floating seats, coolers, life jackets, etc. plucked from the water. It had "sank" night before and was floating just under water due foam floatation. Last trip, a couple of guys in bassboat had gotten blown against shore in a shallow cove and their trolling motor failed. It was too shallow for the big motor and they were paddling hard as they could but the wind kept blowing them back. I anchored my boat and let the wind blow a fender tied to a long line to them. Then, they pulled themselves out of the shallow.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

My question is rhetorical, and a comment about badly built boats: why didn't the bilge pump float switch come on and drain that water? Hopefully with a big wet willie into the manager's ear as he walks by?

Answer: because either the battery wasn't hooked up, the battery was dead, or it doesn't have a float switch, maybe not even a bilge pump! How can they get away with not having a bilge pump? POS. What else is short-changed?

Ok maybe there is a pump, it worked for a while, then wore the battery down as the boat filled with water again and again.

As for the boats left in the open: that's just marketing. Won't hurt a good boat in the right parts of the country. But if it's the type that needs covering, it should be sold at a discount as a demonstrator. Fat chance.

Marada92

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bilge pump in it... Yes... Battery.. No. And I could see the point that now nobody will know it had water in it, but even if they did do you really think they would have not sold it as if nothing was wrong? Doubtful! But for whoever buys it atleast it's new with a full warranty.

haulnazz15

Captain

I think you should have notified the Bass Pro personnel before you pulled the plug/unclogged the drain. Then they would have seen the issue and could have done something about it. Hell, they may have even instituted a program to check the bilges daily (or at least after a storm) to avoid the incident reoccuring. However, it is nice that you drained the boat for them.

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think you did a good thing. If there was that much water in the boat what about the starter and anything else electrical? If they were underwater say goodby to them. I would definetly go back to the store and tell them what you did so they don't pass a screwed up boat to a new boater. Nice try but you may have caused another future boater a lot of problems.

Marada92

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok ok what I meant was my good deed for the month was notifying the store about the incident to save a future boater big problems! All is well.. I contacted the manager over boat sales at the store so what they do with it now is in their hands. May have to swing through there one day and offer to buy that boat just to see if they would sell it without saying a word.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I think you did a bad deed w your original post,that cancels out any good deed you may have done earlier in the month!:redface:>:facepalm: