• Coffee with cream.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • Flavored coffee.

Votes: 15 20.8%

• Total voters

scca vette

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Good Coffee Blends

I really like Dunkin Donuts coffee you can brew at homewith 2 sugars. I have never been big on strong dark Coffee's. Simple taste for a simple mind I guess. :D

i386

Captain

Anything freshly ground is usually good to me as long as the roaster didn't ruin it. We drink mostly Folgers at home. McDonalds and Burger King here have pretty good coffee in the morning when it's fresh. Starbucks is usually bitter to me when I order it black. Nothing tastes as bad as the coffee at my work though. Even for free, it's pretty bad. :(

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Anything freshly ground is usually good to me as long as the roaster didn't ruin it. We drink mostly Folgers at home. McDonalds and Burger King here have pretty good coffee in the morning when it's fresh. Starbucks is usually bitter to me when I order it black. Nothing tastes as bad as the coffee at my work though. Even for free, it's pretty bad. :(

I have far too much time living in the woods....... I had totaled my "camping time" up when I was in the Army and it is just shy of a few years...... ANY bad coffee is better then NO coffee! :D Now that I am older....... camping is defined as no room service ;)

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Canada.....Tim Horton's double double
Jamaican Blue Mountain is great
Dominican coffee is amazing as well although you have to use more of it to get the strength by comparison to others.
Always grab my "last" Tim Horton's just before I cross the border when going on business trips.:):)

Was scrolling waiting for the Timmy's Double-Double.

I'm the same way Ken. I'm a Tim's fan and when I travel I have my last one waiting at the gate and I can't wait to hit Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal for my first stop and Timmy's..

I prefer it with a milk and a sweetener/sugar.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I guess I am in the fresh ground squad. There are few things better to me than a piping hot cup of coffee brewed up in an old percolator over hot campfire coals in the morning. Dark, silty and hot.....mmmm, chewable coffee is good....

That aside, for daily consumption, I choose a local fair market roaster/retailer (Alterra) that has a nice selection of robust beans.

One of my favorites is the darkest blend I can get from Cafe Britt, but it is really expensive as I bring home a few bags of whole roasted beans when returning from Costa Rica. For a real eye opener, I have a couple of their dark chocolate covered beans to go with the brewed cup o joe . :eek::D

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ever since they stopped making Old Judge, I've been making out ok with Folgers (classic roast) brewed strong and barefooted. :D

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Hand's down the finest way to make a small amount of great coffee is with a French Press..... ask any chef;)

100% agree

If money were no object Jamaican Blue Mountain wins hands down.

Cafe Du Monde is an excellent brew & is usually what I get if it's in stock. Only place I can find it is at World Market

Community coffee (dark roast) is my stand by if I can't get Cafe Du Monde.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Ever since they stopped making Old Judge, I've been making out ok with Folgers (classic roast) brewed strong and barefooted. :D

Dave, did I see you on that Folgers commercial ???
"The best part of waking up "
Were you one of the tap dancers ????:D:):D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ten years in the Navy got me used to anything that was black and wet.

Every cup of really great, unmodified, coffee I have ever had was brewed by my Marine son. He is very fussy about brewing temperature and duration and grinds fresh. I think he favors that Jamaican Blue Mountain stuff and brings his French Press along when we go to LOTW for muskies. One of the things I most look forward to is watching the dawn from the porch of the cabin with a fresh cuppajoe. Stopped the cigar last year.

Myself, I am not good at coffee brewing, so I usually get Folgers Chocolate Truffle for my Mr. Coffee. On special occasions I can make about any coffee good with a TBS of Drambiue.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

A little Bailey's always helps a coffee out !!!

Pony

Rear Admiral

Hand's down the finest way to make a small amount of great coffee is with a French Press..... ask any chef;)

Yes, the individual cup Keurig is nice ....... my regular electric B&D is fine for my morning coffee too (large quantities :D) but for the individual look into a french press.

Fresh beans ground right before brewing ;)

I do completely agree with the French Press, though for me the Keurig is my current choice simply because of time. I work 50-55hrs a week on a regular basis and I just don't leave myself the time in the morning to do much beyond pulling a lever and hitting a button. :D

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

I'm the same way Ken. I'm a Tim's fan and when I travel I have my last one waiting at the gate and I can't wait to hit Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal for my first stop and Timmy's..
You guys are making us jealous. We can't get that here, can you send us some?:D
Flew into Toronto once but it was past coffee time for me and didn't have any.:(

One of the things I most look forward to is watching the dawn from the porch of the cabin with a fresh cuppajoe. Stopped the cigar last year.
AAHHHH..........Doesn't get any better than that.
You just reminded me our fishing trip is one month away yesterday....:)

treedancer

Commander

[FONT=&quot]Nothing fancy here, just costco brand (Kirkland) Columbian grind. Occasionally I will get daring and put a drop of pure vanilla extract in the mug.[/FONT]

180shabah

Rear Admiral

What about "ALL OF THE ABOVE"???

Different time of day, different occassion, different cup of joe...

jonesg

Admiral

;)

I'm a chef, french trained in 7 yr apprenticeship system, and you're right.
The press extracts every shred of flavor from the grind rather than just passing water through it. The proof is in the cup.

But the best joe comes from roasting green beans and grinding it whilst still hot, I worked with a mfger who was testing prototype instant roasters to install in mkts, turned out to be impractical but the coffee we brewed was superior. The machine was too big/too hot.

As far as blends go ,its subjective.
Its hard to argue with 3/4 hawaiin kona and 1/4 french roast, the smoothness of the kona gets kicked up by the burnt roast. But kona is very expensive at $28+ lb....if you can find it.

Sounds absurdly elitist but calculate what you pay for coffee at starbux or seattles best and you are actually paying more ! ,
and you're getting pedestrian beans.

Flavored coffee is junk beans covered up with extracts or oils.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'm a chef, french trained in 7 yr apprenticeship system, and you're right.
The press extracts every shred of flavor from the grind rather than just passing water through it. The proof is in the cup.

But the best joe comes from roasting green beans and grinding it whilst still hot, I worked with a mfger who was testing prototype instant roasters to install in mkts, turned out to be impractical but the coffee we brewed was superior. The machine was too big/too hot.

As far as blends go ,its subjective.
Its hard to argue with 3/4 hawaiin kona and 1/4 french roast, the smoothness of the kona gets kicked up by the burnt roast. But kona is very expensive at $28+ lb....if you can find it.

Sounds absurdly elitist but calculate what you pay for coffee at starbux or seattles best and you are actually paying more ! ,
and you're getting pedestrian beans.

Flavored coffee is junk beans covered up with extracts or oils.

And yes, a French press does it best. I usually don't take the time, but do on occasion.

Thats pretty much the blend we use, 2/3 Kona, 1/3 regular or french roast 8-oclock. 10 years ago the Kona was a lot cheaper, at $12-$17 a pound.
Now it is $24-$30.

We get 3-4# a year and drink it on our days off work.

My favorite is the 4th one down on this page:

http://www.coffeetimes.com/1store-detail.html

A close second Comes from Bwana BOB:

https://www1906.dulles19-verio.com/dest76/bwana/cart/coffee.htm

A few others we have tried:
http://shop.konacoffeeandtea.com/kona-coffee-c1.aspx

http://www.aikanekonacoffee.com/

http://www.peleplantations.com/

http://www.koacoffee.com/

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Since this was dug up by someone else, I'll chime in.

Stumptown Coffee in Portland, Oregon is the best. The roast it and grind it right there in the store. They have a huge roaster in the middle of the store(s), and you can get a cup as soon as it's done. I've ordered from them and had it shipped to me. Not by any means a cheap cup of coffee, but well worth every penny.

And for the record - Starbuck's is watered poop in a cup.... :rolleyes:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Choc~Full~o~Nuts is my personal fav, with some vanilla or Irish cream:cool: