good closed loop cooling system

aldfaa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Rebuilding a 96 5.7 and would like to add closed loop cooling. Engine has new heads and intake and the block has been cleaned very well so rust shouldn't be a issue. What is a good quality brand, with avalible replacement parts?

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: good closed loop cooling system

I just installed a San Juan on my 02 5.0 litre. Works well.Full system. They answered all my questions with good depth of knowledge I thought.

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

I'll throw in my vote for San Juan Engineering as well. Great company in Bellingham, WA. Great product but as I'm sure you already know, closed cooling is not cheap!

kilowatts

zbnutcase

Commander

San Juan for sure! I have installed MANY of their kits over the years...good product

aldfaa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay,
I am considering the Suan Juan mc-314 full kit. This will be on a 1996 5.7LX engine with the Alpha 1 outdrive. I noticed that on several websites that sell this unit it has a note that mentions a seperate seawater pump maybe required.

Any ideas on which situations this may be refering to?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Any ideas on which situations this may be refering to?

If you install a full cooling system (manifolds included and are running an Alpha outdrive, it is recommended to use the belt driven pump instead of the pump in the outdrive. The belt driven pump has a higher volume output capacity.

aldfaa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So how is this pump plumbed in as I an not familiar with the set up? I assume the discharge hose from the pump is connected to the steering cooling. What about the intake hose, is this ran to the transom shield connected to the discharge from the out drive pump, and remove the original outdrive impellar? or does a seperate pickup have to be installed?

I just want to make sure I fully understand what I am getting into.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Usually there's a thru-hull seacock installed...
The raw water would come in through it, to a strainer, through the P/S cooler, to the pump, to the exchanger, then out through the risers...

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Where are you located? Whether or not you need a seperate raw water pump depends on the temp of the water you run in. Up here it is cold enough year around (exept in some small lakes) that the pump in the leg will cool a full system with no problem, I run a full system on a slightly pepped up Merc 350 and it runs at 180 under load with just the stock pump in the Alpha 1 Gen II leg

aldfaa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Located and boat in central Kansas - Looks like the lake surface temperature could be upper 80's in july/august.

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Talk to San Juan theyll know. For me(B.C.water) they said my gen 2 pump just fine for 5.0 and they were dead right. Theyll know about warmer temps,might be an issue I dont know.

aldfaa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is the response I got from Saun Juan:

"Dustin, Most of the time the alpha pump is adequate but not always. If you have
overheating issues you will need to put on the aftermarket pump."

I guess I am leaning now towards the half system, as I don't want to experiment to see if the outdrive pump is adequate.

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

The gen 2 pump works great with my motor. I think the gen 1 pump would not be sufficent. I have a full kit and love it. The manifolds run at operating temp and the risers are the same temps (never were the same on the raw system). I ran it for one full season now and the only problem I had was the Block off gaskets I got with the kit did not have metal in them so after a few hours of running my coolant escaped and mixed with salt water. I flushed the engine and manifolds real good and installed Mercruiser blockoff gaskets. These have a stainless plate in them. I have not had a problem in the 250 hours I put on the motor since. Oh and winterizing is so easy. They say you can drain the exchanger and it will be good but I drained it then ran the motor while fogging with rv antifreeze to make sure any water left in the exchanger would not freeze and break one of the tubes.
My engine gets to operating temp and stays there no matter what the load. About 175 on my gauge and the same all around the block and manifolds with an infrared thermometer.

aldfaa

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well not for sure what I want to do then. I do have the gen II drive and it will be getting a new outdrive pump amongst many other new goodies(complete transom service) Plan on ordering the kit in the next week or two as I would like to fire the rebuilt motor by the end of February.

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer

I too have installed a full closed cooling San Juan kit and use a Gen II pump for the raw water side. In the dead heat of summer, with water temps around here in the 90's, my engine runs the same temp 165-170 fully loaded. Even ran that temp in the 38 degree water I was striper fishing in last month.

IMO, you'll be fine as long as you keep the raw water side healthy.

Ned L

Commander

If you are interested in another source (for a comparison) check out Sen-Dure. They have been in the business of fresh water cooling systems for many decades.