Gone Forever!

John_S

Rear Admiral
I just noticed the link to all the Merc Service Manuals has been removed. :( While I have any I need, it was nice to look-up other engine/drive info to help others out.

Re: Gone Forever!

So glad I got mine. They have helped out so many people, shame they are gone. Wonder why?

ziggy

Admiral

shame they are gone. Wonder why?
while i'm no rocket scientist. copyright infringement would be my guess. i think we were lucky we had them available as long as we did.... thanks to whoever for trying real hard to help folks out...
hope no one gets in trouble...
sure was great to have them pdf too.

back to the books i guess. ebay? that's where i got my #1 and 2 at...

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

copyright infringement would be my guess. ...

X2. I was stunned when I found all those on there. Even MORE stunned to find that people actually selling these all over Ebay in .pdf format for $10 to $15. All those people do is scan a copy of an expensive manual, and sell CD's with the scanned pages for profit. CLEARLY illegal. Now here on Iboats the info was posted free of charge and they weren't making a direct profit off them. Maybe a grey area...but pretty sure copying and distributing other people's copyrighted material is illegal period. For profit or not. Of course I'm no copyright lawyer.

I bet greedy lawyers could have a heyday on stuff like this...and I'm not surprised one bit that they have all disappeared. Hopefully it didn't cost iboats many thousands of dollars before they were removed.

Glad I got mine downloaded to my hard drive while the gettin' was good...

ziggy

Admiral

Glad I got mine downloaded to my hard drive while the gettin' was good...
better burn'em to a cd or something too. in case yer hard drive goes south.. ;)

John_S

Rear Admiral

While a copyright lawyer would not agree, I have purchased the paper manuals. It is nice to have the softcopy to print out just an individual procedure, and to zoom in on those wiring diagrams for these over 50 eyes.

ziggy

Admiral

and to zoom in on those wiring diagrams for these over 50 eyes.
ditto on that. i certainly find tracing wiring dia. easy with the pdf that ya can zoom in on. + any pics in the s/m ya could zoom in on too... there are (were) lots of benefits to having it on pdf. like pre reading the procedure while sitting in my comfy chair listening to some tunes in the comfort of my home... then take the book out to the boat when actually doing the deed, that you were already familiar with due to reading it in pdf in comfort.. just a darn shame the pdf will be no more.......:( i'm sad, they helped many folks to be sure..

This is in the Mercruiser manual link:

Last edited by Don S; Today at 09:32 AM. Reason: New manuals and updates

????