Going to install my smart tabs...

drknute3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Expecting my tabs via UPS in the morning and wondering if there is anything I need extra for the install? Have all the tools I need but was wondering if any additional sealants are needed or if they come with the tabs.

Thanks
Bill

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Going to install my smart tabs...

I think you're gonna' have to wait until tomorrow about the sealant. If none is packaged then pick up a small tube of 3M 4200. Your directions will guide you through the installation process.
If you never plan on removing them use 3M 5200 - but read the cure time carefully. Even the fast cure stuff takes a little while.
Hey, good luck with your project. :D

nlain

Commander

Go ahead and get the 4200, they pack a gasket sealing strip with the tabs, I filled all of my holes with 4200 and put some on the screws as I was installing them. If you go on the web site and read the install instructions they will tell what size drill bit you will need also, just in case you don't have a good set already.

Now a word of advice, read and fully understand the instructions, layout the install and recheck it at least twice, you want to drill your holes in the right place and the right size the first time, put some tape around the drill bit for the depth of the holes, drill carefully so you don't chip the gelcoat, ( I'm thinking fiberglass boat here), countersink the holes, this keeps the screws from chipping the gelcoat. It is not a bad job, should take 2 maybe 3 hours.
If there is anything you do not understand just call John at Nauticus, 800-233-0194, he will be glad to help you out. Enjoy. :D

drknute3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The tabs I ordered are the 1080-80 Mobster tabs. Hopefully the included installation instructions will be specific to this model as there is nothing specific to these models on the website. Being a surgeon for the last 12 years with a strong auto and marine mechanic experience prior to that, I am sure I can do the job correctly. I tend to be overly obsessive compulsive/anal retentive when taking on any project. (my wife's perception :p)

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

put some tape around the drill bit for the depth of the holes, drill carefully so you don't chip the gelcoat, ( I'm thinking fiberglass boat here), countersink the holes, this keeps the screws from chipping the gelcoat.
I 'm new to fiberglass... Don't understand why you should countersink when the head of the screw will not be against the fiberglass. It will be against the smart tab bracket... Right? Can someone explain this? What am I missing? I'll be installing these too soon.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.

nlain

Commander

I 'm new to fiberglass... Don't understand why you should countersink when the head of the screw will not be against the fiberglass. It will be against the smart tab bracket... Right? Can someone explain this? What am I missing? I'll be installing these too soon.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.

That is a valid question and not a highjack as it does pertain to the install. Gelcoat is a hard finish and will chip out if the drill hangs or when the screws are run in. It can chip out a large piece that would not be covered by the mount bracket or tab hinge. If you countersink slightly that will help prevent chipping. The chipping happens before the bracket is tight against the gelcoat.

Tahoe 55

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! I understand now.
What's the best method to countersink in fiberglass? Start the hole with a few sizes bigger bit and then drill the rest with the right smaller size?

drknute3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I know I need the proper drill bit size and I will tape it to monitor the depth, but what would I use to countersink the hole prior to drilling? Wouldn't that also raise the potential for chipping? What is the correct process for countersinking the hole prior to drilling?

Thanks
Bill

drknute3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got my tabs and got everything out and inspected and started to pre-assemble everything and have some questions. Unfortunately everyone at Nauticus is out til Monday. The instructions show a ball stud on the upper and lower brackets for attaching the shock to. My hardware has a longer machine bolt, a flat nut, a locking nut, and 2 flat washers. I assume the machine bolt goes through the bracket with the flat nut on the other side, and then slide on the ram and hold it on the machine bolt with the locking nut. My question is where in this process do I put the flat washers? On either side of the bracket or either side of the ram?

Thanks
Bill

drknute3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Also found that a couple locking 5/16 nuts are missing from one of the bags. Doesnt look like I am going to get these on today without a trip to the hardware store to get all the parts I need, which wont matter anyway cuz the instructions show hardware assembly that is completely different to what I received. :mad:

drknute3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Finished the install tonight, having to rob a few nuts from one side in order to complete the other. I attached some pics. Still concerned about where to use the washers on the tab bracket and transom bracket. Where should they go? It would appear as though the tab bracket uses 2 washers and the transom bracket only one according to the label in each little hardware bag. But if I use 2 washers on the tab bracket, the bolt isnt long enough and I cant tighten the locking nut more than 2 or 3 threads, not enough to engage the nylon. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 100_2147.jpg
    100_2147.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_2148.jpg
    100_2148.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_2149.jpg
    100_2149.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 0

nlain

Commander

I could not get back here until now, I see you had questions that did not get answered, it appears that you did figure most of it out. Looking at your close up photos of the actuator ends it does not look like you can use the washers at all. From what I can see if you are lucky you have enough bolt to get the lock nut to lock on the threads. I feel sure that you did not tighten the nut against the actuator ends as they must be able to pivot, I say that because the nuts look real close. I would have turned the bolts the other way, head of bolt at the actuator, put on standard nut with just enough clearance for the end to pivot, put threads through bracket, install lock nut and tighten against bracket. Less chance of it working loose. IMHO.

JoeCrow

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Smartabs are great, but good luck getting a response
I sent 4 e-mails with no response to any of them

drknute3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I could not get back here until now, I see you had questions that did not get answered, it appears that you did figure most of it out. Looking at your close up photos of the actuator ends it does not look like you can use the washers at all. From what I can see if you are lucky you have enough bolt to get the lock nut to lock on the threads. I feel sure that you did not tighten the nut against the actuator ends as they must be able to pivot, I say that because the nuts look real close. I would have turned the bolts the other way, head of bolt at the actuator, put on standard nut with just enough clearance for the end to pivot, put threads through bracket, install lock nut and tighten against bracket. Less chance of it working loose. IMHO.

They are snug, but not too tight. So you think no washers is ok? I was thinking of getting 1.5" bolts instead of the 1.25" that came with the tabs so that the washers would fit.

nlain

Commander

Should be fine without the washers but the 1.5" bolts can't hurt. You don't want any pressure on the actuator ends, a couple thousandths clearance is fine, you don't want them to bind at all.

1970 Chieftain V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think your hardware stack up should be like this. There should almost always be washer next to a bearing in the ends.

100_2149.jpg

And

100_2148.jpg

Jason

drknute3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Went to the Menards and got all the hardware I needed and finished the install this morning. I actually even remembered to get stainless steel hardware :D Everything fit like a glove. I was blown away at how these things handled. Absolutely no bow rise on holeshot, reduced planing speed by 4 mph which makes throttle control for wake boarding a cinch now. My speed at WOT stayed at around 49-50 @ full trim. Felt like a whole new boat pulling me out on slalom. While the project could have started off better with better hardware and instructions, the end result is amazing. Thanks all for your help, I really appreciate it. ;)

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

There is neve a good time for me to take some time off, so I appologize for not getting back to you sooner.

We changed the attachment of the actuator to the brackets from the ball studs / end fittings to a thru bolt / eyelet end fitting because it is more secure for heavier and higher speed boats. Admittedly changing the pressure adjustment is not a quick but once dialed in there is no possibility that the actuator will come detached, or bend the brackets.

It is better to install the self locking nut on the opposite side of the bracket.

I would like to find out exactly what you received for installation instructions. Please call! 800-233-0194

mrcj001

Petty Officer 1st Class

We changed the attachment of the actuator to the brackets from the ball studs / end fittings to a thru bolt / eyelet end fitting because it is more secure for heavier and higher speed boats. Admittedly changing the pressure adjustment is not a quick but once dialed in there is no possibility that the actuator will come detached, or bend the brackets.

It is better to install the self locking nut on the opposite side of the bracket.

I must admit,when I recieved my Mobster Tabs, I was a little confused also. Although, I had sent pics of my set up and the size of my boat and horsepower,your salesman evendently knows what he is doing. I recived (2) "bag C" packages and no "bag B"...... but worked perfectly for my set-up. I probably couldnt use the angled brace that attaches to the tab. (used the mounting bracket that usually only goes on the transom.)

The ball studs thru me off.....they are in the parts bag, and thier is just a small "note" in the instructions that there has been a change on the installation of the shocks.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

mrcjoo1;

Please contact us so that we can determine if we have errored in sending the correct parts or if the box was open after it left our plant. 800-233-0194