Go Kart paint type

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hello all ,

quick question on painting metal and frames , etc.

I bought my kids a dune buggy / go kart for Xmas. I have it all ripped apart right now and have it sanded down with some medium grit , it is not sanded to bare metal.

The current paint is in decent shape , I just want to make it nice and shiny for them. My plan is sand down , clean it up nice with mineral spirits then repaint.
What type of rattle can spray paint would be best for this application ? and should I primer over the existing paint before I lay down my final paint ? Clear coat afterwards ?

I want to have a finish that will last for some time.

thanks !

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I woyld not use rattle can paint, however a 2-part urethane or enamel or epoxy

Solvent based single part paints wont hold up

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you are serious about wanting it to look good for a while, forego the rattle can paint(s) and buy some quality paint. Any two part paint (paint and hardener/catalyst) will absolutely last longer than rattle can. And this is just me, but I would absolutely use a primer before painting. That way you know positively the actual top coat paint will stick to the primer. And use the same manufacturer of the primer and top coat paint. That are designed to work together... Than there is no guess work. I like automotive quality paints (PPG) but to each their own. If you don't own a spray gun, buy a HVLP spray gun and go for it. JMHO

64osby

Admiral
If you don't have access or use of a spray gun, then I would recommend tractor paint either brushed on or spray bomb. My experience is it is better than the standard Rust-Oleum.

Tractor Supply and Menards sell it.

64osby

Admiral
When I bought one for the kids, the other item I added was foam padding around all the tubes. I used standard pipe insulation with zip ties to keep it in place. It really dressed it up, black on red paint.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
That's why I love this forum. Thanks for the 2 part paint advice. My buddy has a paint gun and I will give this a go tomorrow

WIMUSKY

Staff member
There's places that put automotive paint in a rattle can.... Any color you want.....