GMC trucks made in Mexico?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Was talking to a friend about his new GMC Silverado and mentioned that there used to be a huge GM assembly plant in Oshawa Ontario. Asked if his was made in Canada so he opened the door to look at the tag and it says "Made in Mexico". I was shocked and didn't know what to say. Am I that far out of the loop that I didn't know that General Motors actually makes their vehicles in Mexico? I realize that there have been components such as engines, wiring harnesses, and glass that was made in Mexico, but the whole truck?

How long has this been going on and what percentage of "American made" cars are made outside of the US?

Let's please leave the politics out of this so the thread doesn't get closed.

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: GMC trucks made in Mexico?

How long has this been going on and what percentage of "American made" cars are made outside of the US?

A long time. At least 20 years, if not longer.

Hard to put a percentage on it, but if I were to guess, I would say 30-40%

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

this has been going on for decades. GM has plants in most of the countries around the world. the "Big Three" have been loosing plants in the US left and right

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/us/20070215_AUTO_GRAPHIC_TAB1.html

I know that companies such as BMW, Hyundai, Subaru and Honda have plants in the US to support the US market.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/06/19/automobiles/20090619-auto-plants-4.html

If I had to guess at a percentage, it would be higher than 80%.

if that doesnt get you confused, try this http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/imported/2010/06/2115.jpg this map of automotive alliances, etc. changes every 6-12 months.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I've been to the plant in Toluca, I ate at the cafeteria, but I see it closed in 2008, so I am little confused. There is a newer plant in Silao that builds Suburbans, Escalades etc. but I don't think pickups. They have Suburbans down there with the GMC style grille and a Chevy bowtie in the middle. Other odd combos. Right hand steer model Suburbans for Australia, and the dash looked like it came from a Colorado, not a 1500. I have a coworker who was high level GMC truck I'll double check with him as the info I see is a little confusing regarding current pickup truck production.

briangcc

Commander

The days of old when GM vehicles were made in the US are pretty much gone. My '01 and '04 GMC Sierra's were made in the Oshawa plant. My buddy has always leased Chevy Avalanche's and those I believe were made in Mexico. The Pontiac Vibe was just a rebadged Toyota Matrix made in Toyota's plant here in the US.

These days, if you really want to support the US Auto worker, you need to look at vehicles from Toyota, Honda, etc that have plants here in the US.

I think one of the major auto magazines did a check on the US content of pickup trucks from all the major manufacturers - Dodge, GM, Ford, Toyota, etc - and the "imports", such as Toyota had MORE US content then any of the domestic brands. If I recall correctly, my Tundra is made in Indiana! I just smile these days when I see a bumper sticker that says "Buy US" as I'm driving my Toyota as that's exactly what I did.

**Just for the record, I do own two GM vehicles that are made here in the US.... 1978 Pontiac Trans Am (Norwood OH built) and 1980 Pontiac Firebird (Van Nuys CA built).

TilliamWe

Banned

Pirate, the Impalas (and Luminas before that) have been made in Oshawa since they were introduced. ANd the Lumina came out in 1990. So they've been builting vehicles outside the US for a LONG time.

If you go to UAW.com, you'll see a listing of all Union made vehicles (in the US and Canada). Silverado is on the list, but I think there is an asterisk, indicating that some are not. Same with Ram trucks. Please note that the only foreign brand vehicles ont he list are the Mitsubishi cars built in Normal, IL. The rest of the foreign manufacturers that assemble here, do so in right to work/ non-union states and plants. So you Tundra/Honda/BMW etc guys, are you really supporting Americans, or just lowering everyone's wages? Just a thought to ponder. Not saying one's right or wrong, just stating facts.

If you are looking used and the sticker isn't there (I didn't realize they put stickers ont he ones made elsewhere, I've only seen them on my US made cars) here's the VIN breakdown :

First digit in a VIN is the country of assembly.

1,4, 5 (and now 6 also?) = U.S.

2 = Canada

3 = Mexico

J = Japan

W = Germany

Not sure about Korea and Sweden, anyone?

Thalasso

Commander

The days of old when GM vehicles were made in the US are pretty much gone. My '01 and '04 GMC Sierra's were made in the Oshawa plant. My buddy has always leased Chevy Avalanche's and those I believe were made in Mexico. The Pontiac Vibe was just a rebadged Toyota Matrix made in Toyota's plant here in the US.

These days, if you really want to support the US Auto worker, you need to look at vehicles from Toyota, Honda, etc that have plants here in the US.

I think one of the major auto magazines did a check on the US content of pickup trucks from all the major manufacturers - Dodge, GM, Ford, Toyota, etc - and the "imports", such as Toyota had MORE US content then any of the domestic brands. If I recall correctly, my Tundra is made in Indiana! I just smile these days when I see a bumper sticker that says "Buy US" as I'm driving my Toyota as that's exactly what I did.

**Just for the record, I do own two GM vehicles that are made here in the US.... 1978 Pontiac Trans Am (Norwood OH built) and 1980 Pontiac Firebird (Van Nuys CA built).

Unless Toyota has built another plant, the Toyota is built in Texas. ( Plano) I think the engines are built in Kentucky.You mean that were made in the U.S. I think the F150 is made in the Midwest somewhere.

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pirate, the Impalas (and Luminas before that) have been made in Oshawa since they were introduced. ANd the Lumina came out in 1990. So they've been builting vehicles outside the US for a LONG time.

If you go to UAW.com, you'll see a listing of all Union made vehicles (in the US and Canada). Silverado is on the list, but I think there is an asterisk, indicating that some are not. Same with Ram trucks. Please note that the only foreign brand vehicles ont he list are the Mitsubishi cars built in Normal, IL. The rest of the foreign manufacturers that assemble here, do so in right to work/ non-union states and plants. So you Tundra/Honda/BMW etc guys, are you really supporting Americans, or just lowering everyone's wages? Just a thought to ponder. Not saying one's right or wrong, just stating facts.

If you are looking used and the sticker isn't there (I didn't realize they put stickers ont he ones made elsewhere, I've only seen them on my US made cars) here's the VIN breakdown :

First digit in a VIN is the country of assembly.

1,4, 5 (and now 6 also?) = U.S.

2 = Canada

3 = Mexico

J = Japan

W = Germany

Not sure about Korea and Sweden, anyone?

K for Korea, don't know about Sweden

TilliamWe

Banned

Y is for Sweden
S for England

That's right, Y for Sweden. Only ever inspected a couple of those in my career. Never an England made car, though.
(I was gonna guess K for Korea, but I didn't inspect a lot of Kia' and Hyundais to remember for sure.)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Dodge trucks are made in Canada or Mexico. Mine came from Mexico.... American made? Pfffft......

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not an economist so it's difficult for me to sort this out. If I wanted to buy a vehicle (in this case a pickup) and wanted to support the American economy as well as utilize our manufacturing base, which scenario is best for the country? 1) Should I buy a Toyota since the labor came mostly from the US but the majority of company profits go to another country? or 2) Buy a GMC (or other "Amerian brand") where the majority of the components and the assembly are from another country, made by non-US labor, with little of the taxes and spending associated with factories and labor going to the US, but the profits are going to a US company?

I'm not blind to the realities of the real world. We are in a global marketplace and fair trade agreements are critical for the financial health of our economy and that of our allies and neighbors. But at what point is it detrimental to us and what is the common consumer to do and still support our own people and economy?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I can not give any advise there. I would lean toward the US based company myself.

bigdee

Commander

Toyota is made up of more USA parts than GM or Ford. The phrase ?Made in America? covers the whole continent. The vast majority of bolts,fasteners,steering components, electronics,electric motors,light bulbs,sensors,paint,wheels,tires,transmissions and engines are manufactured outside of the USA. US automobile plants are nothing more than assembly plants today. Toyota and Honda are not only more loyal to the USA but their USA workers are loyal to them....the same cannot be said about the big three.

Brewman61

Ensign

It's way too complicated an issue, and it goes way beyond simply where the "Corporate Profits" go. Corporate profit is only one component of the equation. What about the plant itself? And the infrastructure that supports it. Like the truckers, railroads, and other freight haulers who supply the plant. Mostly US based companies, I suspect. Employees earning wages and paying taxes, and buying things. Plants also need security, maintenance, and other support, also likely US companies or at least US employees. And the end product, be it a Toyota, Honda, Chevrolet, or Ford, are sold by dealerships who also employ tens of thousands of people directly and indirectly. The profit that goes to Toyota, or Honda may go to Japan, or whereever. But Ford, Chrysler, GM are all publicly traded companies, and their profit benefits the stockholders (aka owners) who may or may not all be citizens of the USA. Short of it is that any legitimate business operating here is employing local citizens. This benifits us all, does it not? I find it ironic that my "imported" Avalon has one of the highest percentages of USA components, higher than my Ford Ranger Pickup.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The parts content percentages change from one year to the next. Last year, for example, the Honda Accord had 75 percent of its content derived from the U.S. and Canada, down 5 percent compared to the 2011 report. The Ford Fusion (and Lincoln MKZ) is listed as having 20 percent parts content from the U.S. and Canada ? likely due to the fact that the factory is in Mexico ? while the Nissan Altima appears in the 2011 report at 60 percent. Affordable midsize sedans comprise the first five positions on the NHTSA report, part of which is shown here.

1. Dodge Avenger ? 83%

2. Chrysler 200 sedan ? 81%

3. Toyota Camry ? 80%

3. Toyota Avalon ? 80%

3. Honda Accord ? 80%

4. Chevrolet Impala ? 77%

5. Cadillac DTS ? 76%

5. Buick Lucerne ? 76%

6. Chevrolet Malibu ? 75%

6. Chevrolet Corvette ? 75%

6. Lincoln Town Car ? 75%

6. Acura TL ? 75%

7. Dodge Caliber ? 73%

7. Chrysler 300 ? 73%

8. Dodge Charger ? 70%

8. Dodge Challenger ? 70%

8. Honda Civic ? 70%

9. Chevrolet Camaro ? 66%

10. Toyota Matrix ? 65%

10. Cadillac STS ? 65%

10. Cadillac CTS ? 65%

10. Ford Taurus ? 65%

10. Ford Mustang ? 65%

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/top-cars-north-american-parts-content-67627.html#ixzz22ACxp7no

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My 2011 Silverado was mad in Indiana as well. Or at least that's the city they completed the "Quality Check Sign-off" .

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Just had to go check mine...*whew*

Indiana....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

They have been making cars in Mexico, since at least 1980, the truck my Dad purchased in June of 1980 was made in Mexico.