Gluvit And Cloth

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings,

I am working on my aluminum boat renovation project and had a question about gluvit. I am repairing an area with some holes on the edge of a 90 degree angle on my lower hull. After repairing the holes with marine tex, i was thinking i would gluvit over the repair area. Considering this is on a corner, 90 degree, i was hoping to build up a little extra strength and was thinking about putting some fiberglass cloth over the ninety degree area, the same way you would if i were using fiberglass.

It is kind of hard to explain so, hope you understand. I guess to make it simple, can i use a fiberglass cloth with gluvit?

Chad

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Gluvit And Cloth

can i use a fiberglass cloth with gluvit?

Ayuh,... Donno,... But, laying cloth on a 90? corner is about Impossible....

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL ok.....cloth is very flexible...anyone else have input?

Chad

bananaboater

Ensign

That would probably work but structurally I would not put a lot of faith in it.

I would put down a regular layer of gluvit, let it cure for a while depending on ambient temp and then put the cloth/gluvit on in a second layer.

My gluvit took 4 days at 70 degrees to cure to the point it was not tacky or stinky.

erikgreen

Captain

You're asking if you can cover fiberglass cloth with gluvit instead of resin?

Sure, but it won't do anything. It'll be only as strong as using gluvit alone. Fiberglass resin has to hold individual fibers in position relative to each other, and gluvit doesn't do that. Depending on the coating on the fiberglass you use it may not adhere to the glass at all.

If you want to repair the holes better than marine-tex, you need to weld or patch.... the downside of aluminum boats is that they're harder to repair than fiberglass boats.

Erik

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Gluv-it is just a somewhat flexible epoxy, so yes you can use it with cloth. Wrapping it around a 90* corner is the tough part, it needs to have a radius or it will lift off the surface.

I can't say it will be a long term patch, but it will hold for a while.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

after the marine tex i would try to get some alum and bend it as needed,clean both with acetone and use 5200 and then closed end rivets

Huron Angler

Admiral

after the marine tex i would try to get some alum and bend it as needed,clean both with acetone and use 5200 and then closed end rivets

I agree 100% with jspano...why repair it like it's a 'glass rig, it's aluminum:confused: You are on the right track using the gluvit.

Aluminum is strong and lightweight, and will last a long time unless you run the boat onto some rocks, hit a submerged mine leftover from WWII, etc.

Rivets are easy to deal with and will not leak if properly used as mentioned above. I'd rivet in some bracing/supports and then apply two light coats of gluvit, allowing a week between coats.

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was actually thinking the patch with 5200 and rivets would be best. I just dont know what type of rivets i should use that wont lossen up. Do i just use a standard aluminum rivet i can get at hardware store?? If someone could post a link with the correct rivets to get, i will go this route.

A four foot section of aluminum i have would be perfect for it, it was just the drilling additional holes through hull below water line, and not knowing the proper rivets to use that was stopping me.

This is on the side of the hull, if riveted with 5200 it wont eventually loosen up or leak?

Would pics help?

Chad

jspano

google closed rivets
i bought mine at
WWW.RIVETSINSTOCK.COM
things you want are all alum, rivet,mandrel all parts
the one you listed is steel mandrel(that's the that looks like a nail)
don't want dissembler metal
next is the grip range... figure the gauge of the metals 2 pc 3/16 = 6/16= 3/8

jspano

remember a 16th of an inch = .0625
3/16= .1875
3/8 =.375
for the grip
if i have this right if the 2 pcs of metal are 3/16 each which =.375 you would need the grip range in or just above that

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks alot Joe!! One more thing, i have the boat completely gutted right now. Should i put the patch ont he inside, outside, or both?

Chad

jspano

i did mine on the inside thought the surface was cleaner,no paint and would be less drag on the hull.
look at my thread(it's in my signature) the last page

mine was on a flat surface

jspano

chad

thanks
just read all labels and prep like what was mentioned above

Good Luck

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

IF the hull is stripped....... consider having the holes welded up.

Do not weld seams that are riveted but, by all means consider welding for a hole and follow it up with gluvit.

Be cautioned that jspano has done some great work so he set the bar at a good height for a good repair ;)