Glueing valve back to inside of inflatable tube - how to?

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Quicksilver 230, probably PVC not Hypalon (not sure). One Boston style valve in particular leaked quite a bit, and prev owner (who sorta ripped me off) had smeared what looks like Goop brand glue all over edge of plastic valve where it meets outside surface of tube. Still leaked, confirmed by filling boat with water and looking for bubbles, also soapy water test.

I easily peeled Goop and some other yellowish glue off rim of valve, and can see the fabric isn't fully attached to the valve rim - where the valve gets glued to the inside surface of the tube fabric/PVC. I created 6 slits fanning out from the valve so I could peel back the fabric somewhat, the idea being to try to glue the fabric back to the valve body. This is the inside surface of the tube fabric glued to the outward-facing surface of the valve plastic. I will clean both surfaces as best as possible and use acetone.

I don't know what type of glue is best for the inside of the fabric (which may or may not be the PVC layer) mated to whatever plastic the valve body is made from. Maybe my plumber's Goop? Or possible the special PVC cement? I figure I'll also put a circular PVC patch on the outside of the tube, to seal the radial slits.

Thanks for any advice, Peter

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Glueing valve back to inside of inflatable tube - how to?

Post some pics, much better than 1000 words...

Happy Boating

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a pic of the valve, sorry it is fuzzy - I only have my cheap camera handy.Valve.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Having the valve already exposed will need a big pvc round patch with same valve diam glued ontop outside tube fabric, fabric must be at least 1" wider than hole so patch has more surface to hold better against fabric. If too narrow can burst with pressure. Probaby will need 2, inside and outside ? You can use PVC 2 part glue for the job.

Happy Boating

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply. I can't do any patches inside, as there is no way to get to the inside of the tube (the hole in the Boston valve is too small).

Even if I patch a "donut" on top of the fabric, over the "petals", it will still leak, as the inside part of the valve body isn't fully sealed all the way around to the inside of the tube fabric. I want to glue the petals down to the black plastic base of the valve, then use a donut patch overlapped 1" or more on top of that. Anyone know what the black plastic valve is made of (is it also PVC?), and if the PVC 2-part glue is a good choice to adhere the fabric to that black plastic?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If it's hard it's pvc, 2 part pvc glue works well, just clean parts to be glued properly, could use acetone, a pity that sib does not have the Halkey Robert's valve, much friendlier to patch repair.

Happy Boating

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

In case others also ask -
I called Mercury tech support and they recommend and sell (resell) the Stabond brand, which I ordered through a local dealer. I did first try Goop brand, just in case, and it did not stick well at all - I'll have to clean the residue off before I try the Stabond. The trick will be how to clamp the fabric down to the valve base while it sets. I will likely have to make some sort of wooded "donut" and clamp it through the valve center hole using a Molly toggle style bolt, if I can figure out how to remove it without leaving the toggle in the tube.

curtis4769

Seaman Apprentice

If I am understanding you correctly, the stabond is not going to stick to the actual valve. I would put a patch over that entire hole. Then cut a new hole nearby and install a new valve boot and a proper valve like a Leafield C7 or Halkey-Roberts. You are going to have to learn to do an inside patch, it's not that hard. You just need to apply the glue per the directions, let it dry, put it in the hole, and then use a heat gun or even a hair dryer to reactivate the glue. Hop e that helps, good luck.

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm, that's not good news. The idea was to clean the inside surface of each "petal" (the inside of the tube fabric) and the black plastic surface of the valve, and then use the Stabond to glue each petal down to the valve. Then glue a round donut patch over the whole thing for mechanical strength, and add a bead of Goop around the edge of the valve body for good measure. I don't need zero leakage, as I will inflate this, use it as tender to moored sailboat, daysail, then return and deflate. In other words, it only has to stay hard for say 12 hours or so max.

All three valves are like this, and all leak from where the fabric should be glued firmly to the valve material. I was also wondering, if this is all PVC (inlcuding the black hard plastic), would the glue and purple primer used for the white PVC plumbing pipes work? I only paid 200 for this (which in hindsight was a ripoff), so spending too much on 3 valves, etc. that may never work right is prob throwing good money after bad.

curtis4769

Seaman Apprentice

You plan will not work, and I don't' think the outer doughnut patch is going to do much if it's leaking between the valve body and the "petals". I am not familiar with your particular valve, but I can almost guarantee that the glue is not going to hold up between the valve body and the petals (if it will even adhere at all).

Another option that will be the easiest:

Get a leafield C7 valve.
Remove your valve.
Put the female end of the C7 valve into the hole you already have.
Apply your doughnut patch to the outside. (you wont have to do an inside patch)
Tighten the valve pieces together.

You could do this to all our valves for less than $100 and one night in the garage and they will never leak.

This video should help if you are confused about installing a C7. You really don't need the valve tool, vise grips will work, but the tool makes it a lot easier. The only step not in this video would be you applying the doughnut patch.
You really only need to see 1:10 - 2:10 on the video to see how to install the valve (very easy)
Notice the female end already in the hole at 1:23, that is what you would put in before apply your doughnut patch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXSdzpzfMS0&feature=related

And by the way, the plumbing PVC stuff will never work!

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Curtis - great option, thanks. I am trying one or two more jury rigged solutions just in case they hold well enough. If not, I have already ordered 8 oz of Stabond. Once I find a PVC patch material supplier, I could do just as you suggest, using a smaller diam strengthening ring on the inside of the larger (like 5 inch diam) externally applied donut. I have never worked with Stabond or PVC inflatables - I assume properly gluing the donut to the outside surface of the tube provides a really strong bond? And I gather from looking at the Leafield site that it is only mechanical pressure from tightening the valve into the backing nut that is needed to seal it tight - no glue? I think that would work and is doable, as long as the externallly applied cover patch would be air tight.

curtis4769

Seaman Apprentice

The stabond makes a molecular bond between the two materials, and if applied per the directions will last the lifetime of the boat. You are correct, tightening the valve is all that is needed, no glue. It would also be an option to put the female end in the hole you have, and cut a new hole for the C7 install and put a patch over your existing valve hole making sure the patch material extends at least 2 inches out from the hole. You won't need a valve boot and no inside patching is necessary if you go with the C7. Good luck man!