Glastron vs. Maxum opinions

Erichlg

Seaman
Opinions please. I’m looking at 2 boats this weekend and I will likely buy one of them. Both are 19’ ski boats. Similar layout, same engine, etc. The Maxum is a 1994 and the Glastron is a 2002.
From what I understand the Glastron has no wood (very attractive for a Bayliner owner). I don’t anything about Maxum brand.
Aside from minor details, the boats are almost identical except for the year.
Which brand would you choose and why?

briangcc

Commander
Ahem...the Maxum is a rebranded Bayliner. I *think* it was marketed as the upscale version.

Personally, I have nothing against owning one (Bayliner - see my signature) as i didn't have quality issues with the boat itself. Motor is another story as I'd steer clear of anything with a FORCE engine.

Glastron *may* be VEC and if so its probably close to the beginning of that production so it might have growing pains associated with the changeover of construction if that's indeed the case.

Bottom line...condition and engine would drive my purchase. And...neither is a ski boat. Those are more of the Mastercraft or Ski Nautiques. You're looking at bowriders.

Erichlg

Seaman
I didn’t know that about Bayliner and Maxum. I know any boat neglected will become junk. I learned a lot when I disassembled my Bayliner.
You’re correct. I get a little lazy and lump them together. Definitely Bow riders.
Whats the story on VEC? I think they are both 4.3L Mercruisers.

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
tough to say without seeing them, but I usually would go with the newer one if all else is equal.. Mechanical shape and features would be my main concern and if all looks good, then start looking at the hull. 1994 is getting up there in age so structure is something to look at, but if looked after could be perfectly fine.
Brunswick built several brands, which included Bayliner and Maxum. The Maxum was average boat, with a few extra bling features. I think they were discontinued about 10 years ago.

As for Glastron, they've been building boats since the 50's, so assuming they know what they're doing. I don't know much about that specific model year (2002) but they are popular and still see them often. VEC is a specific hull build process that Glastron used, the underlying frame and such.
Yes I own a newer Glastron, but am not brand loyal. My last boat was a Searay, and this particular Glastron had exactly all the features I wanted.

Last edited:

Erichlg

Seaman
Thanks Cortes! I had the same thought about being newer may be better if all else is the same. I’ll look into the VEC issue. Thanks for clarifying.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It would all come down to condition and engines...but from what you have said...I’d be after the glastron.
Glastron are not what they used to be in quality...but nice looking and I’d imagine it would be much less dated looking than the older maxum. Likely would have removable carpets in the cockpit too. The maxim likely wouldn’t. A big plus for me.
What miggt worry me is why these two boats are being compared. If they are the same price, either the maxum is way, way too dear...or I’d be suspecting why the glastron is so cheap. It’s not as if the maxum is a better quality boat or anything.

Erichlg

Seaman
It would all come down to condition and engines...but from what you have said...I’d be after the glastron.
Glastron are not what they used to be in quality...but nice looking and I’d imagine it would be much less dated looking than the older maxum. Likely would have removable carpets in the cockpit too. The maxim likely wouldn’t. A big plus for me.
What miggt worry me is why these two boats are being compared. If they are the same price, either the maxum is way, way too dear...or I’d be suspecting why the glastron is so cheap. It’s not as if the maxum is a better quality boat or anything.

I didn’t think about it from that perspective. Some very good points. The Glastron does look more modern. No carpet at all just fiberglass floor. I’m going to do more research on the value.

southkogs

Staff member
Maxum was a Brusnwick brand, but it wasn't simply a Bayliner with another badge. It was an entry level boat for which they simplified the lineup so the options were limited. You (in theory) got a better price because there weren't so many variables in their builds. They're not bad boats, but nothing too special either.

Glastron is a good boat, and has a good legacy. But they're kinda' middle of the road in the quality pack too.

Sight unseen and just answering "would I prefer an older Maxum or a newer Glastron?" I'd generally prefer the newer Glastron. But, it's more certainly a question of condition. If the Max is in better shape, and the price is fitting for a boat that is twenty-plus years old, then it would wind up being my pick.

Erichlg

Seaman
The Glastron is the direction I’m leaning towards now because of these comments and further research.

Erichlg

Seaman
I ended up with the Glastron. Newer boat, in great shape, same money. Thanks for the advice!

jkust

Rear Admiral
Here's my take. It's 2018 and there is no way I'm buying a 94 boat that is still using 80's build methodology (lots of wood). Maxum was as mentioned slightly more blingy but still bottom of the barrel or very close to it though it was the 90's and things were done with a lot more wood in places where wood no longer was used in the 2000's. Many times a 2000's boat simply can't be compared to a 90's boat at the state of the art was simply different...again, for lake trailer boats. Some brands continues the 90's build for a few years into the 2000's and other phased in the newer construction of using modern materials and less wood sooner.
As for Glastron, yep the VEC had a ton of issues but it was a big deal when it was deployed as it was first deployed in MN. I still remember the big local news story. I think people are more vocal about their issues than their successes with their boats though.
One of my lake neighbors just bought a brand new 24 foot Glastron. It is extraordinary entry level at under 60k. Possibly the lowest quality, most cheaply produced, corner cut boat I've ever seen. The thing is, Glastron does a good job at distracting you with bling to take your attention away from their low-end build. It is his very first boat and he simply doesn't know any better as he is learning the whole boating lifestyle. Good boat to learn how to boat on.
Those early to mid 2000's Glastrons, I think they did a decent job at setting themselves apart from say a Bayliner or a Stingray or other bottom rung brands. I'd put the Glastrons at the second from the bottom rung. I would be far more interested in the 2000's Glastron versus the Maxum. Even the engines in a 94 are going to be old school as they are pre 96 which was a big changer year for Mercruiser.

Erichlg

Seaman
Sorry! I didn't even think to share.

Attachments

• photo292423.png
    photo292423.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo292424.png
    photo292424.png
    142 KB · Views: 1
  • photo292425.png
    photo292425.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo292426.png
    photo292426.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo292427.png
    photo292427.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 1

southkogs

Staff member
Looks great! I like the interior without the carpet (if I'm seeing it right). So much easier to keep clean.

roffey

Commander
personally, I have always liked Glastron boats. My favorite boat of yesteryear is the Grew. But I digress, nice looking boat. Looks top be in great shape. You will have lots of fun and trouble free boating.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Looks like my 2002 SX 195, except the colour. The carpets were snap-in. Great for cleaning/drying. as you could hang them up. No carpet in the ski locker, which is good. A bit noisier but no mold factory either.
Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_1002c.jpg Views:	2 Size:	20.9 KB ID:	10586503

Erichlg

Seaman
Thanks! We are excited! It looks like it had carpet once upon a time. Some of the snaps still have the other half. Debating on getting new carpet. But that would be after getting a Bimini top. This captain likes the shade.