Glastron SSV-176... would a soft spot keep you from buying? NOW WITH PICTURES!!

ptbrakefield

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The outboard boats, In my opinion, generally have a better chance of being solid and not needing a whole bunch of stuff that an I/O can hide. Number one is, with an outboard there is no big hole below the waterline in the hull requiring detailed maintenance to keep the water out. With an Outboard there is significantly less chance of transom problems when compared to the I/O where an owner has neglected those very specific I/O maintenance items. With an outboard, if it starts and idles right away, and has good smooth acceleration and can run at speed for 20 minutes or so, then return to a solid idle it is probably good. With an I/O engine even if it does all that there are a whole bunch of things between the engine and the prop that may not have been maintained that can show up on your first solo trip. Can cost 3 times what the cost of the boat was initially.

My thinking has been very much along these lines. I've owned plenty of O/B boats, but the I/O maintenance is not in my personal knowledge base. Engine maintenance, yes... but there are a lot of things in between that I would have to study up on.

Thanks for the solid words...

ptbrakefield

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Y'all know much more than me, but I've been leaning toward that Glastron mostly because I see it being something I can find "stuff" for and it seriously looks like it just came out of the showroom (IN THE PICTURES HE POSTED). I love the two seats in the back with the table/cupholders; I love the two lounge seats; and the ample seating up front. I WILL CHECK IT FOR THUDS instead of sharper sounds when I go to look at it. I'll take a rubber mallet and one of those little hammers with the yellow plastic faces on it. I won't impulse buy; that't not my style. I really appreciate the advice.

Maclin

Admiral
Plus that era of Glastrons are just cool. That SSV hull rides great, cuts wave as nice as larger boats up to a point.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The boys sold a little refurbished 15 foot Sunray and a so, so trailer to a couple in their mid 50's that are first time boaters earlier this summer. A nice clean 30 year old plastic runabout with many new parts such as, impellor, plugs etc. controls and cables. The 70 Merc runs great. It is used for a few hours a week putting around the bay next to their Cottage. Less than 2K all in. When Bill asked "Now what do I need to buy to have this boat legal and safe. 4 PFD's, a Danforth anchor, new battery, 2 new trailer tires, 100' of anchor line and a few feet of chain and stainless hardware for it, an entry level GPS combo, replaced trailer lights, a pig tail trailer connector, a 2" ball and receiver, a few feet of mooring line, a new air horn, 3 smallish fenders, his and her Boaters card, 2 fishing licenses, a used CD/AM/FM player and speakers installed at no charge, what else? A First Aid kit, a boat safety kit which consists of a plastic pail for bailing, a whistle and a line with a plastic ball on it to hold a small kid up and not much more, a few odds and ends. Well by the time he went through the check out line at Canadian Tire and Princess Auto he had over 900 less Samolians in his pocket then when he walked into the store. 50% the price of the boat and trailer. It all adds up fast, really fast. $1000.00 and they hadn't put a liter of fuel in her,( now at $1.30 a liter for regular now) or a quart of 2 stroke oil. Buying a boat is one thing, getting her wet is totally different thing.

trailking82

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can you post ad or pictures of the glastron? Maybe some of us here can have a look and give more advice on it. Just becuase it looks nice could be misleading. Many sellers will spray clear paint on a boat to give a nice shine, a few months later it will all flake off and look like the old aged boat that it is. Soft spots can ALWAYS be expected to find futher rotten "concerns" below deck... boats rot from the bottom up.

However for $1200 (and it REALLY seems you can hagle lower), it maybe a good starter boat. You seem to like the layout(a big plus, on some boats thats hard to do), it is an outboard.. again much less that can become an issue. Maintenance on an outboard is less complex. When buying a used boat the "maintenance" performed or neglected to perform is the number 1 thing to consider... not much winterizing to an outboard. If you like it, run it for a season and rebuild the stringers, deck and transom in the off season and keep boating if you feel it fits your style for a few years.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I'm not going to say $1200.00 is chump change but when it comes to a boat it really is. What would you get if you bought a car for 1200 bucks, not much I bet, it may even run. If you need a bit of a shove to buy the Glastron which is as nice as you say it is and it seems to meet all your needs go ahead buy it today, consider yourself shoved.

Happy boating Captain.

I would stay away from a 2 seat water rocket. It might be fun for a few trips but after that not much, especially when you need to fuel it up. Been there and have the T shirt.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I've got other boats besides my Glastron-Carlson but it's the one boat I can't ever see myself selling. Love the metalflake gel and the styling of the older Glastrons and Glastron-Carlsons. Completely gutted right now but hope to have it rebuilt this fall and back on the water next summer.

Last edited:

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The boys sold a little refurbished 15 foot Sunray and a so, so trailer to a couple in their mid 50's that are first time boaters earlier this summer. A nice clean 30 year old plastic runabout with many new parts such as, impellor, plugs etc. controls and cables. The 70 Merc runs great. It is used for a few hours a week putting around the bay next to their Cottage. Less than 2K all in. When Bill asked "Now what do I need to buy to have this boat legal and safe. 4 PFD's, a Danforth anchor, new battery, 2 new trailer tires, 100' of anchor line and a few feet of chain and stainless hardware for it, an entry level GPS combo, replaced trailer lights, a pig tail trailer connector, a 2" ball and receiver, a few feet of mooring line, a new air horn, 3 smallish fenders, his and her Boaters card, 2 fishing licenses, a used CD/AM/FM player and speakers installed at no charge, what else? A First Aid kit, a boat safety kit which consists of a plastic pail for bailing, a whistle and a line with a plastic ball on it to hold a small kid up and not much more, a few odds and ends. Well by the time he went through the check out line at Canadian Tire and Princess Auto he had over 900 less Samolians in his pocket then when he walked into the store. 50% the price of the boat and trailer. It all adds up fast, really fast. $1000.00 and they hadn't put a liter of fuel in her,( now at $1.30 a liter for regular now) or a quart of 2 stroke oil. Buying a boat is one thing, getting her wet is totally different thing.

Sounds like my experience after buying the boat... putting a hitch and wiring on the Rav4, buying PFD's, a Fish Finder, bought the Navionics app for my Android devices, spare tire on the trailer, Anchor and line, Bumpers and new line, etc, etc, etc... I was well over $1200cdn over the price of the boat itself, and I still hadn't made it on the water. Luckily the PO left me a full tank of gas, plus a half tank and another new tank.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Plus that era of Glastrons are just cool. That SSV hull rides great, cuts wave as nice as larger boats up to a point.

Hard to believe but Glastron is still using their same hull from the mid 1970's.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Sounds like my experience after buying the boat... putting a hitch and wiring on the Rav4, buying PFD's, a Fish Finder, bought the Navionics app for my Android devices, spare tire on the trailer, Anchor and line, Bumpers and new line, etc, etc, etc... I was well over $1200cdn over the price of the boat itself, and I still hadn't made it on the water. Luckily the PO left me a full tank of gas, plus a half tank and another new tank.

You did a great job on that Sunray of yours, saw it at Hoovers. Do you have 2footitis yet? This lake has been a bad girl this year, there were weeks that I didn't go out because of the wind. A local I know said it is because of all the Wind Turbines. Powerful windmills eh? When you take the boat out if you haven't already I have a good formula to get the scrung off if you want. That creek makes a mess of the hull.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You did a great job on that Sunray of yours, saw it at Hoovers. Do you have 2footitis yet? This lake has been a bad girl this year, there were weeks that I didn't go out because of the wind. A local I know said it is because of all the Wind Turbines. Powerful windmills eh? When you take the boat out if you haven't already I have a good formula to get the scrung off if you want. That creek makes a mess of the hull.

I think you may have me confused with someone else with a Sunray (you mean there are more out there with Sunrays?? :eek: ) I'm on the east end of Toronto, not at a Marina yet but considering a few for next year's season.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I think you may have me confused with someone else with a Sunray (you mean there are more out there with Sunrays?? :eek: ) I'm on the east end of Toronto, not at a Marina yet but considering a few for next year's season.

Yep, same boat different boater, sorry about that chief. I know of 4 or 5 guys this way that have older Sunrays. Solid little boats.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
haha, nice... we'll have to make it 6 someday. :)

We have friends out your way at the Falls, we used to visit them all the time but it's been pretty quiet lately. Will have to bring the boat up next time and check out Lake Erie.

ptbrakefield

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, this is my thread, but I've been away doing other things... bought the wife a NICE used Waveraider... so now she's happy and even more up for me getting a boat. That is part of the reason my budget is not where you guys would consider a good place, LOL.

The 79 Glastron... I called the owner to go look at it in person. He said he couldn't get it to start and his buddy thought it was the switch. New switch... nada... took it to a mechanic and it needs a whole harness. So, the owner took it off the market until he gets it fixed, which could be a couple of months.

I have some more questions on a different boat, but will start a new thread for it...

Senior Chief Petty Officer
No Title

For 1k if it runs and the rest looks half way decent, I would buy that glastron. I have a Glastron CVX-20 that I will probably never sell. The previous owner pulled the floor because of a similar sounding soft spot and ended up doing the transom as well. Now it's a solid boat and I keep it dry and inside when I'm not using it.

My inlaws have a boat so rotten the engine ripped off and fell into the river taking a big chunk of transom with it. I've had some that were a little soft that I pull the engine and sealed everything up with silicone as best as possible and just lived with it. If it's not too bad, you might be able to just patch it along for now. If you end up digging into it, be sure that's your forever boat because you will get killed on what you sink into it.

Attachments

• photo138615.jpg
    photo138615.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0

ptbrakefield

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'd like to be patient and wait on this boat if I can. But he might demand more after sinking more money into it. I have no clue what it costs to replace a wiring harness...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'd like to be patient and wait on this boat if I can. But he might demand more after sinking more money into it. I have no clue what it costs to replace a wiring harness...

He might want more money, but that doesn't mean the boat is worth more or that he'll be able to get more...

ptbrakefield

Petty Officer 3rd Class
He messaged me last night $900 as is... his marine mechanic says it needs the box to engine wiring harness. Wiring doesn't scare me at all... just the cost of it. I've worked on car wiring for years. No way this is more complicated than that.

New thoughts? I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning. I'll try to figure out how to post pics. They are on my phone.

roffey

Commander
worst case is a new to you motor.... however I might be a little reluctant if no water test is possible, it might leak like a sieve or have other issues. Once more the trailer would be close to that and it sounds like he is trying to unload the boat. Here in Canada their is a cost to take a boat to the dump.

I'm walking both sides of the fence here, lol.