Glassing Stringers to Hull

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class
My stringers are all nice and smooth from the 3 coats of resin, and I'm just about ready to put them in place but I would like to know if I should remove the old fibreglass that was surrounding the old stringers?? Is this ok to leave in place and just glass over top?? Or should all the glass be removed and new glass wrapped around the stringers then glassed to the hull??

When I removed my old stringers I just grinded the tops off the fibreglass, and used an electric chainsaw to remove all the old stringer material.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Glassing Stringers to Hull

your call........will it work....yes.....will you have a good bond and full stregnth....no.

your half way there....id just grind out the glass.....1 hr....and scuff....1 hr.....then glass in the new stringers......done.

if you drop the new boards in.......the resin coat will be weak with out glass in the resin.....the new boards will "float" in the old surrounding glass.

full stregnth will be best served by making it new.

cheers
oops

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

sweet thanks, and to insure I have good adheasion I should scuff up the new stringers as well...

F14CRAZY

Ensign

I ground off most of the old stringer encapsulation, peanut butter-ed in my new stringers and added fillets to give a smooth transitional surface if you will

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As F14 did, I ground all but a small lip of my stringers down. I ended up going the PL-400 route as opposed to PB to bed the new boards down and it worked like a champ. Just make sure everything is braced properly and leave it for a few days to cure. Fiberglass and resin go over it nice too.

slvrwolf1

Seaman

nice... I need to do the stringers in my ensign trihull but reading up first before I attempt. they have some solid parts but in the very rear of the boat there really isnt anything left but the shell. Sounds like you are doing great with yours. good luck

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello escapade..

Yep..you should remove all the glass and reglass to the hull..

If you "slip" your new wood into your glass sleeve..you are risking some delam ..

I personally would not recommend it m8..

Sorry..gotta go.. wings are playing...nite..

YD.

drewpster

Commander

Remember you do not want direct wood to fiberglass contact when you install the stringers. Be sure to bed them in something before glassing them in. I used PL Premium polyurethane adhesive from Lowes. (easy and available) I have heard of using homemade bedding compound made from resin and fillers. I also heard of using foam strips under the stringers. The point is to avoid a hard spot.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

What may take place is the wood may be just kind of floating unbonded inside the F/G casing of the stringer, which makes it of little structural value.

At this point you could laminate over the existing hollow stringer with a little extra glass and not use the wood at all.

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

I grinded everything down, however there appears to be some pink material under the center stringer I took a chunk of it out and its fairly light and has some pigmination in it and is very hard.

anyway I'm going to be using PL premium to attach the stringers to the hull, and then glassing over them with 2 inches on either side of the stringer for support

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I hope you dont mean 2 inches of tabbing for the stringers.. ( stringer to hull lap )

Just dont jump into this m8..Do your research..

YD.

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

the 2 inches is for overlapping the sections of fibreglass on the stringer, I'm not sure about the tabbing, but I'm guessing matching with factory spec's will be ok, correct me if I'm wrong?