gimble bearing driver

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer
What have you used to drive the gimble bearing into place, besides the Merc tool!

pocrain

Cadet
Re: gimble bearing driver

What have you used to drive the gimble bearing into place, besides the Merc tool!

Recently did mine and of course seal driver was at a different location, so I took a short block of 2" by 4" and ripped it to the od of the new bearing then cut the center to generously clear the center of the bearing. Worked great for me, I would have felt better using the right tool but that wasn't feasible. JUST MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT PUT ANY IMPACT ON THE BEARING< ONLY ON THE OUTER RACE! Good luck and be careful.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, I built one last night but today in the sunlight, the OD is too big!
I'll try your route!

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, my tool is a 3/4 inch iron pipe with a flange screwed on one end and a cap on the other. I made a spacer out of 1/2 inch plywood, taped to the flange, looks like a doughnut! Anyway, its the same size as the bearing carrier and does not touch the inner bearing. Its about 110 degrees outside right now and I froze the bearing for a few hours in a deep freeze. I quickly inerted the bearing into the hole, a hit or two with a 2 1/2 lb hammer, made sure it was straight, then rammed it home in about 4 hits. Worked like a charm! now to get that new bellows installed! Whew its hot!