gimbal ring play

pete s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
While removing the outdrive from my new to me boat I noticed that the gimbal ring will move up and down about 1/8 of an inch or so. It is a 1979 mercruiser 898.

Is this normal? Doesn't seem right to me but..... If I can help it I would rather not have to remove the gimbal ring but if I do I do. I don't see any "adjustments" in the manual for this either.

thanks
Pete

L8-Again

Seaman
Re: gimbal ring play

The only adjustment for up and down play is done with the nut on top of the swivel shaft. Access is by removing the engine. Look in the section of your manual about replacing the gimbal ring. It should show you the upper nut and give a tolerance for the lower swivel pin gap (up and down play).

There is a plug kit available for allowing gimbal ring removal without pulling the engine. I have used the plug kit successfully but I would not do it again. I would rather pull the engine.
http://www.mercstuff.com/gimbalringinst.htm
Your original '79 ring probably won't have the stainless bolts that clamp the swivel shaft tight as shown in the link above, but a new replacement ring would. Tightening the upper nut, which is hidden inside the upper part of the transom assembly, pulls the swivel shaft into the gimbal ring and you use a feeler gauge to gap it at the lower swivel pin. The link I posted is the plug kit instructions for R/R'ing the ring, but it will also show pictures of the nut I am referring to.

I recently finished installing a new gimbal ring in my '79 Merc and it was some work, I tell ya!

Last edited:

pete s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply L8. Do you think that I should take it apart or just tighten the nut up to the spec? Does anyone know what would cause this? The PO had the engine replaced is this something that may have happened at that time? I am thinking that I know why the gimbal bearing is junk even though the below is new. =)

L8-Again

Seaman

I would suspect the gimbal ring. You are the one looking at it and I am NOT an expert. I cannot diagnose it for you, I only have my recent experience with the same vintage, '79, assuming yours is Pre-Alpha and has not had parts changed/updated.

Is you ring the old style spline? If so, the splines may be starting to wear in the ring causing the play.

Do you have any port/starbord play? This could also be related to the gimbal splines failing, among several other possibilities.

quote:
"Do you think that I should take it apart or just tighten the nut up to the spec?"

Search the forum for 'loose steering' or something like that and you can get alot of info about the gimbal ring. Not very likely that the nylock nut loosened on it's own, but after 30 years it may have worked loose. (if the gimbal ring has not been removed since new) I learned a tremendous amount by reading previous post and looking at other websites (mercstuff.com)

Before you tear into it, get a good knowledge base of what you are looking at so you can diagnose it.

Mine was in extremely bad shape when I decided to change it. It moved up and down the complete distance between where the lower spindle shaft passes through the transom housing and it had very loose steering. I took a picture the old ring showing the damaged splines.
IMG_2289 (640x480).jpg

No amount of tightening would have helped my gimbal, it was too worn and required replacement. And it was dangerous running it the way it was. I could have lost complete steering ability at cruising speed and put myself and passengers in danger if the splines completely stripped out.

quote:
The PO had the engine replaced is this something that may have happened at that time?
I don't see any reason the swivel shaft nut would have been messed with for an engine change, but I wasn't there to see what they did.

pete s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Once again thanks for the reply. I did do a search but I never seem to find too much. I realize your not here to see it and would not ask for a definite diag. Well the plug kit is on the way with the tap and hole saw. I will post what I find.

pete s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well got her all apart today! Was not as bad as I thought that it would be. Found that I don't need a new ring, the nut was loose and the Alan screw was missing from the bottom of the upper pivot pin. Glad that I took it apart would have made junk soon if I didn't.

I need to put in a new lower shift cable and ordered the new style that screws in from the aft side. Any tricks to this or is it as straight forward as tapping the hole on the aft side?

002-1.jpg

rickryder

Commander

I think it's pretty straight forward.....tap the hole to new thread size.... I think I have it in my service manual..... I'll look for it Pete!