Gimbal Housing Removal... LOST

gary12280

Cadet
1986 OMC Cobra 3.0. Purchased Steering Arm puller. Followed directions in Factory Repair Manual. Nothing. Have gone into the boat, removed cotter pin at steering arm and pulled pin. All I get now is a gimbal ring that moves more freely. What am I missing? HELP please. Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gimbal Housing Removal... LOST

Did you remove the lower support bracket?

Edit, I was talking about removing the gimbal ring, you said gimbal housing. You don't have to take that steering apart like that to remove the gimbal housing.

gary12280

Cadet

I figured that, thought I would try something else...its just the tool the OMC manual recommended (OMC Steering Arm Puller) does not seem to do anything. I set the 2 dowels in the dowel grooves, put in the center bolt and tightened to the point of no more tightening. Should the dowels go down? They do not seem to move. Perhaps squirting some teflon spray or wd40 would help? I need to get the bracket off the back of the boat to replace the seal between the transom and the transom bracket....taking on water. Boat has not in been in the water for 9 years but from what I can tell so far, transom seems fine. Removal of outside bracket will allow me to replace the seal and get a better look at the transom condition...really hoping for the best, otherwise those fiberglassing skills may have to be utilized..lol

Don S

Why are you removing the gimbal ring?

Bondo

Staff member

I need to get the bracket off the back of the boat to replace the seal between the transom and the transom bracket....taking on water.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... No need to be doin' what yer doin'.....

All ya gotta do is,...
Pull the drive,...
Pull the motor,...
Then undo the 6 or 8 nuts, inside on the inner transom plate, 'n Pull the housing from outside the boat.....
Everything, except the drive itself, comes off as an assembly...

gary12280

Cadet

I am pulling the gimbal ring, in addition undoing hydraulic lines, etc to simply take off the outside transom bracket. I am trying to avoid pulling the motor, as a hoist is not as available and really do not want to have to mess with the alignment. Pulling the engine seems to me like more work than trying to take the gimble ring off, etc. I am simply stuck at the steering arm, it does not want to seem to disconnect to allow the gimble ring to drop out. I pretty much am replacing the u joint bellows, exhaust bellows, the transom seal, the 2 o-rings for the water hose nipple, the water hose, the goofy water ring gasket and the outdrive gasket to the pivot housing. Perhaps I just dont really understand how the transom bracket is connected. Is the only way to replace the transom seal an absolute pull of the engine??

boatguya1

Chief Petty Officer

I am pulling the gimbal ring, in addition undoing hydraulic lines, etc to simply take off the outside transom bracket. I am trying to avoid pulling the motor, as a hoist is not as available and really do not want to have to mess with the alignment. Pulling the engine seems to me like more work than trying to take the gimble ring off, etc. I am simply stuck at the steering arm, it does not want to seem to disconnect to allow the gimble ring to drop out. I pretty much am replacing the u joint bellows, exhaust bellows, the transom seal, the 2 o-rings for the water hose nipple, the water hose, the goofy water ring gasket and the outdrive gasket to the pivot housing. Perhaps I just dont really understand how the transom bracket is connected. Is the only way to replace the transom seal an absolute pull of the engine??

You are making extra work for yourself. Pulling the gimbal ring apart will get you no closer to changing the transome hsg seal. The motor has to come out to do the job.

James

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I figured that, thought I would try something else...its just the tool the OMC manual recommended (OMC Steering Arm Puller) does not seem to do anything. I set the 2 dowels in the dowel grooves, put in the center bolt and tightened to the point of no more tightening. Should the dowels go down? They do not seem to move. Perhaps squirting some teflon spray or wd40 would help? I need to get the bracket off the back of the boat to replace the seal between the transom and the transom bracket....taking on water. Boat has not in been in the water for 9 years but from what I can tell so far, transom seems fine. Removal of outside bracket will allow me to replace the seal and get a better look at the transom condition...really hoping for the best, otherwise those fiberglassing skills may have to be utilized..lol
If the boat hasen't seen water for 9 yrs. then u may have to replace the gimbal bearing which will involve doing the alignment. What makes you think that the seal is bad? If it is, you'll have to pull the engine. No way around it.

Bondo

Staff member

etc to simply take off the outside transom bracket. I am trying to avoid pulling the motor, as a hoist is not as available and really do not want to have to mess with the alignment. Pulling the engine seems to me like more work than trying to take the gimble ring off, etc.

Ayuh,.... The bolts holdin' the transom to the hull,.... Are Also holdin' the rear motor mounts....

The motor HAS to come out...

Don S

If the transom shield is leaking, then you have more problems than you realize. You probably have a rotten transom too. Quite common in boats.
Either way, if you want to pull the transom shield, you have to pull the engine first. All you have to do is get the engine loose, tow your boat to your local boat shop and have them lift it out for you.

gary12280

Cadet

Sea wolf: I believe the seal is bad because when I first launched it on Easter, it took on water. When I pulled her out, water was coming out the back of the boat along the bottom half of the transom bracket on both sides. I'm hoping just the seal needs replaced and not a rotten transom. I believe the seals are good for about 6-10 years. Seeing that the previous owner bought the boat in '03 and never put in the water, who knows if and when the seal has ever been replaced. Its an '86.

Guess the motor will be pulled... Hoping to avoid but that seems to be the consensus. If the gimbal bearing moves freely (0 tightness and smooth rotating) Can I leave in tact or should I still replace? It appears very well greased up and no rust what so ever. The outdrive was winterized every year and I purchased the boat from someone I knew. Engine runs great but I have yet to open it up on the water, only on muffs. Thanks for the info and let me know about the bearing.

Bondo

Staff member

When I pulled her out, water was coming out the back of the boat along the bottom half of the transom bracket on both sides. I'm hoping just the seal needs replaced and not a rotten transom.

Ayuh,.... Yer Dreamin',.... Those transom seals Don't go bad in 6 or 10 years,...

They last as long as the transom don't Rot...

I've got a few that are over 40 years old, 'n not leakin'...

gary12280

Cadet

awesome... gimbal bearing is good at least... smooth turning and no tightness through an entire revolution. I REALLY hope the transom is not crap. May be visiting transom repair forum for a few pointers. One other thing. The lower support bracket that I guest braces the gimbal ring, only had 1 of 3 bolts in it. Would adding the weight of the outdrive create the transom bracket to pull away from the boat, causing water to come in? If I could guess, I would say the water intake coming into the back of the boat is about 1/2-1 gallon per minute. Just thought i would ask.

Don S

Have you actually seen where the water is coming in from?

gary12280

Cadet

I have not actually seen the water coming in.. only the water flowing out (around the outside of the transom bracket, no water coming out anywhere with in the housing, only on the outside perimeter about half way and down). I have examined the u joint and the exhaust bellows, which appear fine. Exhaust bellows slits were pointing down, the way they should be. I have the engine completely disconnected (wires, cables, etc) and have unbolted the 2 rear nuts, and the 2 front lag bolts (Didnt realize it would take only about 30 minutes to disconnect all and pull bolts). Its ready to be pulled. Found a buddy of mine that has a hoist and we will pull next Sunday. I ordered a bunch of replacement parts (u joint bellows, exhaust bellows, seals, gaskets, etc.) that will take a few days to get here anyway so, no big deal waiting. I figured I would just replace some things since I have it apart and not have to worry about it for awhile. If the transom is bad, having the engine pulled will make it much easier to cut out and repair. Hoping for the best here. PS: I did try tightening the bolts on the rear transom assembly on the engine side and they will are pretty solid.