Gimbal Bearing/ U-joint question

BILLDON

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2000 V-P 5.0 Gi PEFS with a 2000 DP-SM outdrive. My question has to do with the lubricating of the gimbal bearing and universal joints on the drive. My Operators manual states:

"External lubrication points. The gimbal bearing and universal joints MUST be lubricated each year. This procedure requires the removal of the drive unit; therefore, your Volvo Penta dealer should do it."

This engine and drive have a total of about 400 hrs. on them and I see from the records that this Outdrive has been removed periodically, but certainly not every year. I am wondering if this particular drive has a way of lubricating the gimbal bearing without removing the drive? Is it really necessary to do this EVERY year? How frequently should the drive be removed? Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Gimbal Bearing/ U-joint question

I have a 2000 V-P 5.0 Gi PEFS with a 2000 DP-SM outdrive. My question has to do with the lubricating of the gimbal bearing and universal joints on the drive. My Operators manual states:

"External lubrication points. The gimbal bearing and universal joints MUST be lubricated each year. This procedure requires the removal of the drive unit; therefore, your Volvo Penta dealer should do it."

This engine and drive have a total of about 400 hrs. on them and I see from the records that this Outdrive has been removed periodically, but certainly not every year. I am wondering if this particular drive has a way of lubricating the gimbal bearing without removing the drive? Is it really necessary to do this EVERY year? How frequently should the drive be removed? Thanks.

Ayuh,.... Every year, to grease the u-joints, 'n to look for problems before they turn into Major problems,....

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If anything, to check alignment and grease the shaft splines (about 1 minute of work to avoid a labor-intensive coupler replacement) and make sure the bellows is dry (wet bellows almost certainly means replacing lots of parts depending on how long water was in there).

Once you pull the drive a couple times, it will become a 30 minute routine from beginning removal to reinstalled.

BILLDON

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. I looked at my Seloc Stern Drives repair manual and the pulling of that drive actually looks pretty straightforward. I will definitely give it a try this Fall. One more question I have is: How difficult is it to change out the exhaust and U-joint bellows once the drive has been pulled? I guess I will see that once it is pulled, but if it's not too much more complex, I would like to have the bellows repair kits on hand.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pretty straight forward as well. Just a couple clamps hold each bellows in place. With the drive removed, you can remove the exhaust bellows and water intake hose and have room to change out the u-joint bellows. Some people prefer to remove the gimbal ring and pivot housing assembly so that they'll have more room to work...but personally I've done it both ways and it was much more time consuming to remove and reinstall the housing.

BILLDON

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much. I was thinking that was the case. The repair manual explains how to remove the gimbal ring, pivot housing, etc. and it looks pretty complicated.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I always remove the pivot housing when I replace my u-joint bellows. Its just two bolts. Also makes it way easier to work in there.

As far as the exhaust bellows are concerned, if it isn't ripped don't even bother. Replace it when it rips. When it does rip, it doesn't hurt anything.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Please do not wait until fall to remove the leg, do it before you launch this season. If you need any incentive, just check out the price of a new gimbal bearing and u joints, which you will need if the bellows leak!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

What can happen with these drives is this: because Volvo did not use a gasket between the upper gear housing and the pivot housing (what some call the bell housing) it is possible for them to corrode together and be very difficult to remove. The OMC Cobra, and Merc Alpha both have a gasket there, the Volvo does not need it for water sealing but the gasket if coated with gasket sealer stops the drive from corroding onto the pivot housing. This is why, in addition to doing required checks of the bellows, gimble bearing, ujoints, and engine alignment, you should remove the drive each season. I have been doing this for years and it has helped me avoid troubles.
The only thing you can do with out removing the drive, is to grease the gimble bearing from the grease fitting on the side. You also have to grease the splines on the drive each year.