Gimbal bearing question

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gimbal bearing question

Why would youeven think about not replacing the cartridge? To save $5?? Its not worth it and better safe than "oh ****", now I gotta pull it out again.

Why would I think that? Because, I've read numerous mixed solutions to replacing the gimbal bearing many of which stated to replace just the bearing; others to replace the whole thing. Hence the question...

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the new Sierra HD Bearing; but when I turn it, it is making a metal "sliding" noise; is this normal? I thought maybe once installed and greased up it won't make the noise?

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote:Why would youeven think about not replacing the cartridge? To save $5?? Its not worth it and better safe than "oh ****", now I gotta pull it out again.

Wellll one reason might be to save a whole lot of grief and effort pulling the old one out for no gain.If the old cartridge is tight and the new bearing fits in nice,its minutes compared to potentially hours of work beating the old cartridge out. Unnecessary work does not necessarily mean a better job or a better day boating imho.(probably means a missed day boating actually.) Anyone want some cartridges Ill send you a few.Theyre all identical too.

telstar1

Petty Officer 1st Class

If its a smooth feel but makes a sliding noise maybe the grease retaining "covers" are causing this. Others may know more. If its smooth and you can turn it with two fingers easily Id say good to go.

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bearing was smooth; I went ahead and installed it and greased it up. Now I can't really tell there is a noise. I'm on to putting the bellows on and all that fun stuff now. I am actually glad I removed the old cartridge because the grease inside of it was so old it was like dirt - probably hasn't seen grease since the '80s. With it removed I pumped some grease thru the fitting and forced that old nasty grease out of the grease hole too. Plus, I made an installation tool out of the old cartridge which worked great. I'm not sure I'd change the cartridge next time; but I think I definitely needed to this time...

cr2k

Captain

We are NOT talking about using the old race. The bearing comes assembled with a race. We are talking about the aluminum ring the bearing assy. mounts in. Linkbelt type bearing. It is an eyeball kind of mount. Unless you have some marine knowledge you might reserve your answers that have nothing to do with the question.