gimbal bearing misaligned going into ring. Options to remove

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice
i hammered away at the gimbal bearing yesterday and i thought i was going in pretty straight until i couldn't get it to go in anymore. I have the alignment tool where you put a hole through the tool for the gimbal bearing adapter the screws throught it so with me pounding on it, you would think it would have gone smoother. I think i need to get a bigger hammer though, lol.

In any case, can i just try and pop this thing out again with a slide hammer? If i do the slide hammer gig, will i have to buy a new bearing?

Any other tricks to get this lined up properly?

thx

Attachments

• gimbal bearing 2 (1).jpg
    gimbal bearing 2 (1).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • gimbal bearing 2.jpg
    gimbal bearing 2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: gimbal bearing misaligned going into ring. Options to remove

Looks like it is in backwards . . . :rolleyes:

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice

yeah, well i thought about having the notches facing outward, but it would have been too tempting. I pulled it tonight with the slide hammer. Came out gently with two pulls. Was able to put it in with the alignment tool and bearing installer that i have. I was alot more patient this time and it seating properly. Alignment is slightly off according to my tool, but it slides in and out quite nicely.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Looks like it is in backwards . . . :rolleyes:

????

There is no 'backwards' on these bearings... They can go in either way around. Originally Merc installed them with the slots facing out, but found too many people just slipping the bearing out of the carrier and replacing it :facepalm:.... So, in 1985, they started putting them in with the slots facing forward, so the only way to change the bearing is to pull the carrier :D....

Chris.....

Deese566

Cadet

Back in the 80's merc installed them with those two notches facing outward. Then in early 90's they started installing them what i call backwards or the other way. The reason for this was when the brg needed replacing people were just changing the center portion only an not the whole brg. You could turn it sideways and pull it right out. They stopped that by simply turning the brg backwards an pressed it in that way. The only real trick to installing a gimbal brg is aligning the grease hole in the brg with the grease hole in the transom hsg. I hate the new style brg's that dont have a grease hole, whats up with that design. If it gets a little off center take like a 1/2 drive extension or something like it an a decent size hammer an hit the high side an it'll center itself back up. Then drive it on in till ya get a solid sound when ya hit it. You'll be able to tell when it's all the way in.

Deese566

Cadet

oops , Chris ya type faster than me, LOL. Looks like we were replying at about the same time. Great minds think alike.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

oops , Chris ya type faster than me, LOL. Looks like we were replying at about the same time. Great minds think alike.

And fools seldom differ.... :D :D :D