Gimbal bearing grease channel and grease seal

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alpha one Gen II

Hello,
​I am doing some work on the transom this spring which includes all new bellows, shift cable, trim sender and limit switches and a new bearing. I am using all OEM parts. My gimbal bearing came as a part of a Quicksilver transom package. However, the bearing does NOT have a hole that I would line up with a grease channel in the transom assembly. I removed the metal sleeve just to make sure but there was no hole!?

Does this mean that I have a sealed bearing and is this now a common replacement? I am assuming that if this is the case then the grease port on the transom will be redundant?

Also, is there a need to pull and replace the grease seal behind the bearing? The kit did not include a new one and I was not intending on replacing it.

Thanks for the help!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
never a need to change that so called seal. just keeps any excess grease from getting inside the boat/ The Prema-Lube is the newest type

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
For extra measure I filled the channel with fresh grease before installing the plug in place of the grease fitting.Yes your bearing is the new version.

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the reply. So I should also change the grease fitting to a plug... right?

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yes,look through your transom kit,it might be in there.

Fun Times

Staff member
The new perma lube gimbal bearings don't need the seal any longer and no longer comes as a kit.. but it won't hurt anything to leave the old one in there should it stay while removing the old bearing....If the seal comes out and is damaged then just put it in the trash.

When installing the new design bearing, you'll still want to install the new bearing with the colored dot at the 10 o'clock position as it is still recommended by Mercruiser.

The new plug is just a reminder so that no one else will try and add grease later on.