gimbal bearing alignment

MEATBALL0309

Cadet
ok so i have read through a bunch of post here about gimbal bearing install and half fof them talk about a engine alignment tool and the other half say nothing. i have a mercruiser alpha one manual and it says nothing about having to align the motor and bearing after new gimbal bearing install it only says to make sure gimbal bearing is seated against its stop. so my question is my motor was not out of alignment before and looking through bearing doesnt seem to be out now. do i really need to purchases this tool and check alignment. i have a 3.0 and the rear motor mount from the way it looks is the transom plate and the front is a huge bracket doesn't seem like it would become out of alignment very easily. anyway thanks for the info

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: gimbal bearing alignment

How do you know it didn't get out of alignment? The alignment procedures are covered in the engine service manual. Also, engine alignment is on the scheduled maintenance for yearly or 100 hours.

MEATBALL0309

Cadet

well i dont but what i am saying is that before gimbal bearing install there was no noise or vibration and the old gimbal bearing was fine but i bought the kit and it came with a bearing and i figured since i am already there might as well replace. this all started beacuse my shift cable bellow riped. i was wondering if i could get away with alignment and be fine i want to take the boat out this weekend and money is tight.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can always get away from doing it... its your boat. Do what you want. But if things are off and do go bad, you will ruin more parts that cost more than that alignment bar ever will. You could always run it by a shop and have them check it for you.

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Meatball, the bearing is gimbaled in its carrier. The bearing needs to line up with the coupler. Good luck

MEATBALL0309

Cadet

ok so i went ahead and found the alignment tool for areound fifty bucks from tungsten marine parts. so if what i have read so far is that you slide this alignment tool into the couple just a little bit and tap the tool a couple of time on each of the four sidea and that should set the gimbal bearing where it needs to be the move on to aligning the motor. once the tool slides in easily and with even marks on all sides of the alignment tool you are good for the next step.