Getting on plane

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK. I read a lot of threads degrading the "WhaleTail". I took mine off and noticed that it did help with the steering and what not. But now I have a hard time planning and purposing. When I go to plane out I trim all the way down. With two people on it planes right out, with 4 people I have to have an extra up front with me to get on plane quick. But once I am on plane I start bouncing severely If I go to wide open I am about to bounce out of the water. If I trim the drive up even a little it gets so much worse the before. But when I slow down it is alright but when I hit another boats wake I am off plane and have to start all over due to having to go so slow to keep from bouncing. Any advice. I will be trying to by smart tabs this winter and installing but I want to make sure that this is my issue. Like I said and trim up I am a lot worse then when I am trimmed all the way down.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Getting on plane

Moving to Boat Topics and Questions (not engine topics)

ziggy

Admiral

I will be trying to by smart tabs this winter
that sounds like a good plan. except that there's still a bunch of boatin season left. maybe you should move yer time frame up a shade.....:) sounds like some tabs of some kind is just what ya need to me.....folks around here really talk them smart tabs up too.......guess theys the cats meow.......

studlymandingo

Commander

Definitely go with some tabs. They have the positive effects of the hydrofoil you removed (faster planing, porpoising control, etc.) without the negative effects (harder steering, slower response, etc.)

Invest in some smart tabs, and go out and enjoy the rest of the boating season!​

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Perhaps we should know what boat you have. What engine. Where is the AV plate in relation to the keel? Do you have a long shaft engine on a boat that requires a short shaft perhaps. Is the boat stern heavy? If so can you relocate some of the heavy stuff from the stern to the front. Tabs will probably help, but lets find out what we are working with and work with loading and setup first.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

perhaps you should look closer at his post..

QC

Supreme Mariner

It's an I/O Silvertip, look at his sig line.

capthook,

The Hydrofoil, while a POS, was probably installed to address the porpoising and poor planing speed. As you know, trim tabs can address this much better. In the meantime, I would shift any weight from the stern to the bow that you can. Anything. Porpoising is usually caused by weight balance issues and more weight forward will also help with planing as you have figured out already. If there is anything in storage, under the engine cover, etc. move it forward. Ice chest is a great move. Also, make sure there is no water in the bilge that you could pump out. Batteries are a huge offender although there is not usually much you can do. Keep at it, you'll get her right . . .

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My weight allocation could possibly use some help. Right now my setup is like this "Weight". I have two batteries in the back, one for garnishes and one for starting, both mounted in battery storage boxes. That is it for the rear. Then I have a small toolbox under the captain?s seat with a big 1 million-candle watt light and an anchor. Under navigators seat I have my manual, fire extinguisher mounted on the "outside" and that is it. The front I have gas tank 1/2 full, life jackets. I guess I can move all the heavy things up front and move the life vests under the seat. I just felt better having it up front since it is a little more accessible.

LubeDude

Admiral

It's simply a case of not enough power and likely too much prop for the four people. You may need to have two different props for the heavy load and tubing and skiing.

Buy all means get the Smart tabs as soon as you can.