Getting a Generator,which brand??

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Getting a preowned generator.I have 2 for sale near me.A Mitsubishi 6700 which has an electric (jump pack) start and pull start ,The other is Generic 6500 with Co2 sensor.Same price.Anyone know these ?? Anyone have one?? Charlie

ezbtr

Commander
Getting a preowned generator.I have 2 for sale near me.A Mitsubishi 6700 which has an electric (jump pack) start and pull start ,The other is Generic 6500 with Co2 sensor.Same price.Anyone know these ?? Anyone have one?? Charlie
following - two winters ago was not fun in TX, no electric or running water for 4.5 days....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Generac buys motors from overseas and assembles in Wisconsin.

Who's motor and alternator are on the Mitsubishi?

most brands are relabeled. Either one will most likely serve your needs in a storm. remember to drain the fuel and change the oil after each use.

Generac used to require an oil change every 25 hours of run time. Not sure what a new one would require.

matt167

Captain
In all actuality harbor freight predator generator would be what I would personally buy, and the biggest one they make. Most generators are now made in china with Honda clone engines anyway. The small generacs are this way I know… the generator I have is a Briggs and Stratton 6500 and it has a vanguard engine. Bought in 2008 after a severe storm knocked power out for weeks.. but that’s now we’ll over 10 years old and I don’t think they make them anymore

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
If you have a choice, I would look for a dual fuel. Here I can run on propane as well as gas. I have 4 propane tanks and during our deep freeze two years ago, propane was easier to get than gasoline

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Generac buys motors from overseas and assembles in Wisconsin.

Who's motor and alternator are on the Mitsubishi?

most brands are relabeled. Either one will most likely serve your needs in a storm. remember to drain the fuel and change the oil after each use.

Generac used to require an oil change every 25 hours of run time. Not sure what a new one would require.
Don't know who makes the engine but read some very good reviews on the Mitsu stating it was quiet and on par with Yamaha and Honda. I doubt that is really the case, Charlie

ezbtr

Commander
If you have a choice, I would look for a dual fuel. Here I can run on propane as well as gas. I have 4 propane tanks and during our deep freeze two years ago, propane was easier to get than gasoline
you in TX as well? What kind of oil and maint in your F150 EB, I have the 4x4 2012 3.5 TT , I will look for dual fuel

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
you in TX as well? What kind of oil and maint in your F150 EB, I have the 4x4 2012 3.5 TT , I will look for dual fuel
I am down south of Houston, just north of Galveston working at the shipyard in Galveston. My truck is serviced at Ford using OEM oil and filter. Haven’t had any issues Orr other maintenance done. Just barely have 40,000 miles on it

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
OK case closed, i bought neither of the 2 I was considering.I came across a Champion 4000/3500 which was purchased new, filled with oil and fuel and test run and run dry of fuel.Never used including sealed manuals.just gotta buy a wheel kit.Was then stored, it is absolutely brand new so I couldn't pass it up.My small engine repair guy gave me the thumbs up as he claims that the motors are like Honda.Charlie

matt167

Captain
Yup champion is basically same as Harbor Freight. The engines are basically clones of Honda GX series engines. Dead reliable.