Get a little cup added to my SS prop or try different brand?

Matt's 175

Cadet
I have a Mercury Vengeance 21 pitch prop on My Bayliner 175. It has a Merc 3.0L engine an Alpha 2.0 drive. I installed the Vengeance prop last summer and picked up 2.5 Mph over the factory Black Max of the same pitch. RPM come close to 5000 now, which is 200 rpm over Merc's recomendation.

From what I have read, I have learned that Vengeance props have very little cup on them. If I wanted to drop rpm just a smidge, should I take this one in and have it cupped? Or would it be better to just get another brand in the same pitch, but with more cup to it, such as a Stilletto?

rndn

Commander
Re: Get a little cup added to my SS prop or try different brand?

Welcome to the forum. If you're happy with the props performance then adding a little pitch or cup by a prop shop should be able to drop rpm's by a couple hundred. Make sure you inform the shop exactly what you're looking to attain by having the prop reworked. If it's 200 rpm's high with just you and right when you have a full load you may also consider leaving as is and just throttle back when it's a light load on the boat.

Matt's 175

Cadet

UPDATE:

I just scored a 21P Stiletto Advantage II on eBay for $139.00!! I give that one a try and see what happens. :D

rondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You go Matt!
That Stiletto just may be the ticket

speed_limit.jpg