Generator won't start

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys-

I have a Powermate 2500 watt generator with an automatic throttle that I'm having trouble with. If I go through my normal procedures (choke, turn on the kill switch, pull cord), it won't start. If I pour some gas into the carb I can get it to start for several seconds. If I reach in and manipulate the throttle by hand I can get it to stay started. But, when I let the automatic throttle controller do its job, the generator will sputter like it's out of gas. Also, the throttle will move open/closed over and over until the generator stops.

The gas is good & I have always used a fuel stabilizer, the filter is clean, there isn't a clog in the supply line, and the spark plug is still good. I only use it 5-6 times a year and its always started up easily.

Any ideas? Thanks.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Generator won't start

It does sound like you have an issue with crud built up in the carb (idle circuit??)
Pull it off clean it out, remember how many turn in/out on the idle/air screws.

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yeap, I agree with rbh, clean your carbuerator out and it will work Great!!! My brother went threw the same thing with is generator on his drivable RV and after cleaning out the carbuerator it runs Great!!!. Try that and see if it works. Let us know if that cured your generator not starting problems.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there something I can spray in to dissolve crud or is taking it apart the best idea? Thanks.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

pull it apart carefully as the gaskets could be brittle (replace if required)

Get a can of WD40, put the little red pipe in it and blast all the galleries clean.
(you should see the WD40 coming up/blasting through the circuits/galleries, if you get just a dribble, there's your plugged area, use a very fine wire to knock it out.

One everything is flowing good reassemble (WD 40 burns good don't worry about blowing it out with air, unless you want to)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

heck around here we use WD for starting engines!

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I broke down and bought another generator. I got a 5500 watt big#@@ thing to run some fans and processing equipment at the farm. I'm kinda glad to have a big one because we can run our fridge & freezer at the same time in case of power failure or I can run pumps for a well.

I'm going to take the older one apart this week to fix it and it will be our camping generator. I'll let you guys know if I was able to do it or if I had to bring the generator and a baggie of parts to the lawnmower repair shop.