General SX Outdrive Maint. Question

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll need to pull the 1999 SX outdrive to fix a leaking bellows. While I'm in there, what else should I check or "routinely replace". New boat to me, so condition inside is "unknown" and I rather only do this once :).

And - can this work normally be done by the average DIY mechanic that has lots of car experience and tools? Not played with an outdrive before and if there are some special tricks that need to happen to do this right, maybe it should go to the shop (they are asking 260.00 labor - plus parts) which doesn't sound too bad for the trouble???

Last edited:

fixnfly

Seaman Apprentice
Re: General SX Outdrive Maint. Question

If you do it yourself, get the manuals. Not that it is really hard, it just helps. You might need/want to change the gimbal bearing and seal, which you will need a few o-rings too. If you decide to do the gimbal bearing you might want a bearing puller, engine alignment tool. Now the cost could begin to mount for these tools vs. having it done at a shop.
In my opinion, if you plan on keeping the boat buy the tools, it will save $$$ down the road when you do it again. If its a one time deal, pay someone.

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now the cost could begin to mount for these tools vs. having it done at a shop.
In my opinion, if you plan on keeping the boat buy the tools, it will save $$$ down the road when you do it again. If its a one time deal, pay someone.

Understand - not too sure what I'm going to find in there.......the 270.00 labor AND expertise/specific shop tools and what they are looking at may be worth just putting the tools away on this one.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is a very straight forward job and really needs to be done every season to grease the UJ's, gimbal bearing and drive splines. Checking the engine alignment is all part of the job. If you find that the bellows have leaked then you will need to change the gimbal bearing and seal, which can be done with an automotive puller.
For $270 you can buy all the tools you will need and still have $150 change.
Look in the "Adults only" section at the top of the forums page for out drive leg supports that can be knocked up out of wooden off cuts. I can get mine off in 15mins on my own, putting it back seems to take about 45 mins. Get the manual at boatinfo.com.

fixnfly

Seaman Apprentice

You can buy the puller, and alignment tool on any "online bid site" for around $150... You will use it again and again if you keep your boat, or plan on buying another boat, or just helping a buddy out.
Look long term, or short term. Do you plan on boating for the next 2-5 years? If so, buy it and do it yourself, if you feel its not too difficult after looking at the manuals. Or pay someone.
Good Luck... keep us posted if you do it yourself.

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did have a leak - why boat was sold so cheap. Water came in thru one of the bellows (assuming exhaust..would that be correct?) and caused a lot of corrosion on the pulleys and power steering which I have just replaced. Want to get it "ALL" while I'm in there.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If water came in to the bilge area and corroded parts, it came thru the u-joint bellows. If you got that much water intrusion, you can bet the gimbal bearing is going to have problems and most likely the u-joints too. I'd be replacing both of those along with the bellows.

You should be pulling the drive every year to check alignment, grease shaft splines, and check for water intrusion and overall condition of parts. It's not hard to do and might save you this trouble again down the road.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Skydive is right, so I suggest taking it to a shop for the first time because you will need U joints and gimbal. after that you can pull the drive yourself every year. Ask the shop to show you the tools they use, its a lot easier with them.

Hvymtl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Skydive is right, so I suggest taking it to a shop for the first time because you will need U joints and gimbal. after that you can pull the drive yourself every year. Ask the shop to show you the tools they use, its a lot easier with them.

Thanks for the insight on the possible water damage. I think the shop is the answer to make sure all the parts that were exposed to salt water are checked and replaced.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Bug them for information, ask if they'll let you see stuff. You're a mechanic, you understand, you want to learn.