General Question after Winter

TyeD17

Cadet
Newbie here,

General question, is it ok to put my boat directly in the water and run it after winter, it was winterized correctly. I have a 95 OMC 4.3Liter, and was going to change all the filters and oil and gear lube first, but was wondering if I could just put it in and run before I do that. Pros / Cons?

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
If it was winterized correctly , all of your fluids should be new and ready to go.

TyeD17

Cadet
I talked to previous owner he said he waits till spring to change all the things I mentioned above.

TyeD17

Cadet
Thank you. I really appreciate it. I have one more question. He started the boat out of water for about 30 seconds. Did it harm it? I have always heard not to start them with out water. It was a fear of mine.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
TyeD17;n9934051 Did it harm it? [/QUOTE said:
It sure didnt help anything , your impeller could very well be toast from that.

Did he have a hose running into it anywhere ?

I would pretty much disregard everything this PO did for service and maintence.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Change the impeller. What he did ruined it. I am sure it wasn't the first time he did it either.

Change all your fluids. In the future, change them in the fall.

TyeD17

Cadet
Thanks guys. Much Appreciated.

No there was no hose running to it. It was for about 30secs. How would I know if the impeller is toast?

TyeD17

Cadet
Oh geez...the dreaded Impeller....How difficult is that to change.....? and how much generally?

Also, I have to change the fuel filter, the "white oil filter shaped looking thing"....is that just as easy as screwing on and screwing off?

OMC 4.3L Cobra 95' /Volvo

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It's very easy to change depending on how jammed the engine is in your engine compartment. Probably best to pull the whole pump, change the impeller, and then reinstall it.

The fuel filter just spins on like an oil filter.

TyeD17

Cadet
Its easy to get to ........ya I see that with the fuel filter....I have a seaswirl and the motor is very easly accessible......Should I try to run it first before examing the impeller or should I just say no and change......also is it the whole impeller kit? or just the black star looking thing?