general fuel system & fuel pump question for newb

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, everything went great with my bellows and gimbal bearing and trim sender/limit replacement. I threw the lower unit back on, greased everything up and then went to start this sucker up. Feeling really proud of myself for diving in and doing this whole shebang, i was ready to hear the 3.0 light up and run.

So, turn the key and it turns over, turns over, turns over, etc, etc. It ain't starting......DAMN! Check the carb and there is no fuel in it. So, i start with pulling the fuel line to the fuel pump and there is not a drop of fuel in that line from the tank. I then go and disconnect the fuel line to the carb and it's bone dry also.

The boat had very little fuel when i parked it 11 months ago. I did throw stabil in the gas tank and ran it a bit ( at least i think i did as i do that for most of my other machines before they go down for the winter).

Do you think it could be the fuel pump as it's not sucking anything from the tank hence the empty lines?

Sorry for the newbie question. I did some searching but couldn't find a great answer.

ken

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: general fuel system & fuel pump question for newb

Sounds to me like you need to put some fuel in it. When sitting on the trailer with the drive down the fuel runs to the front of the tank and the fuel pickup in the back of the tank gets air.

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the reply. I did put about 10 liters into it and the fuel guage bounces between 1/4 and E. You don't think it could be vapour lock or anything?

When turning the key to start am i supposed hear the fuel pump purr and click off before ignition? If so, i don't hear a thing. Not sure how the fuel pump is supposed to work on this boat. I hear that it pumps off the cam shaft in the engine, is that correct?

If ya say put 10 more litres in then i will.

ken

Don S

Hook up a remote fuel tank (an outboard tank) directly to the fuel pump, prime the carb with some gasoline from a squirt bottle squirt bottle.jpg and start it up. May take a couple of times to get everything filled up. and see how it runs.

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice

i think i get what you're saying:

i don't have a remote tank other than a couple of 20 liter jerry cans. Do i disconnect the line at the boat's on board fuel tank and then stick it in the jerry can and then try starting the engine after priming the carb? I used to have an outboard tank but i though they had a specific end that hooked up to the outboard engine so i'm not sure how i would be able to connect that to the fuel pump fitting.

ken

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

My money is on a bad mechanical fuel pump...... Not saying that is what it has to be, but just where I'd be betting on...since I had similar symptoms. 21 years can be a long time on that fuel pump diaphragm.

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice

Hook up a remote fuel tank (an outboard tank) directly to the fuel pump, prime the carb with some gasoline from a squirt bottle View attachment 150248 and start it up. May take a couple of times to get everything filled up. and see how it runs.

did this tonight.....hooked up a line to the fuel pump with the other in a 10 litre jerry and then primed the carb with a turkey baster....yes, a turkey baster is all i had around. :)

the boat does run when the carb is primed, but obviously only for a bit till the gas runs out. I COULD NOT get the boat to run consistantly. Pulled the hose from the fuel pump inlet and it was still dry.

Do i need to go out and spend $160 on a new fuel pump?? My guess is yes, but before i shell out the $$ can someone back me up??

ken

Don S

Sounds like you are in need of a fuel pump.

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like you are in need of a fuel pump.

Geez, where are we at these days when you can't get more than 21 years out of a fuel pump!! LOL

Thanks for the help.

When replacing can someone confirm that the lever has to go UNDER them cam shaft? So tilt it sideways, slide in, turn 90degrees and then bolt up?

ken

Don S

Depends on which pump you have. Just look at the lever, it's obvious which side of the lever goes against the cam.

Untitled2.jpg

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice

i think i have the high volume pump. Cam pushes against the lever and that pumps the fuel, correct? I need part Sierra 18-7282.

thx

Ken

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

My experience with the sierra fuel pump. Not good. Diaphragm failed after 7.5 engine hours. Replaced with an "OEM" pump (for what ever that is worth) and all is well. Just sayin' Some are lucky, some are not.

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna chance it with the Sierra. AND just so that everyone knows, the Sierra pump that i have is made in Taiwan but ASSEMBLED in USA. Go figure!

Quick question on it though. Should i be able to move the cam lever up and down on this pump? I can move it about 1/16" so it makes a "popping" sound which is probably the diaphram. I just didn't know whether i should be able to move that lever with some sort of ease more than a 1/16" or so.

thx

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

did this tonight.....hooked up a line to the fuel pump with the other in a 10 litre jerry and then primed the carb with a turkey baster....yes, a turkey baster is all i had around. :)

the boat does run when the carb is primed, but obviously only for a bit till the gas runs out. I COULD NOT get the boat to run consistantly. Pulled the hose from the fuel pump inlet and it was still dry.

Do i need to go out and spend $160 on a new fuel pump?? My guess is yes, but before i shell out the $$ can someone back me up??

ken

How much gas in the tank in total? I am asking because if the boat is on an angle on the driveway, the gas could all be up front and the pick up ain't pickin up. Thats the same as being out of gas. If that doesn't work, probably the pump.

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice

How much gas in the tank in total? I am asking because if the boat is on an angle on the driveway, the gas could all be up front and the pick up ain't pickin up. Thats the same as being out of gas. If that doesn't work, probably the pump.

put about 1/2 tank in the yesterday and it didn't pull fuel. Did what Don suggested and put a hose in jerry with line hooked up to intake of pump and still nothing. Gonna tackle it tonight. Got a new pump and see what the deal is. Will let you all know what happens.

ken

caddylover

Seaman Apprentice

Just to update, i installed the new pump and all is running as it should. I took some time to do as i wanted to go slow. Good thing the sun is up till 9:45pm at this time of year up here as the extra daylight really helps!

I put the muffs on and let it run for about 15 minutes, threw some carb cleaner down carb throats and it running pretty damn good.

thx for everyone's help