Gelcoat or Fiberglass repair?

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, I 've done quite a bit of research, and would like to get opinions on a marinetex/3m filler type repair vs an epoxy/resin type repair. The area is just above the bow hook/loop on the underside of the boat, and is above the waterline. When I first got the boat about 4 years ago, the mechanic and glass guy said it should be fine, and the damage wasn't structural. Over the years, it appears more has chipped away, and I'm afraid if it isn't structural, it might get that way in the next season or two. I am capable of doing the repair, and have done limited glass work before, but I would like to get the best value. Obviously spend as little and get a repair that will last at least through my ownership of the boat or preferrably longer. So, marinetex or epoxy? If the marinetex won't chip/crack/break in the future, I don't mind using it as the cosmetic value isn't as important to me at this time. I can host bigger/more/different pictures if necessary.

IMAG0542.jpgIMAG0541.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gelcoat or Fiberglass repair?

Marinetex will shrink and crack over time. Glass and gel coat all the way

oops!

Supreme Mariner

marine tex is epoxy.

for the time you will spend on the marine tex......you can do a proper repair using glass and gellcoat for another hour labour on your part.

the materials to do that job are less than 50 bux.

if you dont care about the cosmetics....a standard white gellcoat (titanium white) will be just fine.....and only you will know its there.

you will need to repair the glass.......this is no big deal.....the glass is now compromised....

if you decide to fix it properly your self.......just post back here......and we can guide you to a great job.

in the mean time.......just do a search on the fourm for gellcoat repair......you will see a thousand threads on it.

cheers
oops

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. So you do recommend going to the glass level correct? Should I complete the repair from the outside or try and get to the inside? I have seen plenty of info on the gel coat repair, it's the structure underneath that is a bit more evasive.

You also mentioned pricing of around $50 for materials. Can you elaborate on an estimated quantity and quality necessary. I know this won't be perfect, but without being able to source locally, I would like to save on shipping as well as provide myself everything necessary to avoid having to stop once I start.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Where R U located? You will need about a quart of Polyester Resin (no wax), CSM (Chopped Strand Mat) and some Woven Roving or Fiberglass cloth. (about 2 sq. ft. of each) If you don't have a marina or body shop or some kind of local supplier then you will need to order it online. Random Orbit sander 60 120 180 and 320 grit paper. White Gelcoat foam brushes, acetone. I might be leaving somethings out but that's pretty much it. Like OOPS says lots of examples here on the forum on how to do it. If the damage is not spongy feeling when you push on it then you can do this all from the outside. Thats my humble opinion.

Decker83

Commander

There are some good vids on youtube to watch also. Gives you a better ideal about the prep.

Oh Yea Welcome to i-boats. The Place to Be.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

So, I 've done quite a bit of research, and would like to get opinions on a marinetex/3m filler type repair vs an epoxy/resin type repair. The area is just above the bow hook/loop on the underside of the boat, and is above the waterline. When I first got the boat about 4 years ago, the mechanic and glass guy said it should be fine, and the damage wasn't structural. Over the years, it appears more has chipped away, and I'm afraid if it isn't structural, it might get that way in the next season or two. I am capable of doing the repair, and have done limited glass work before, but I would like to get the best value. Obviously spend as little and get a repair that will last at least through my ownership of the boat or preferrably longer. So, marinetex or epoxy? If the marinetex won't chip/crack/break in the future, I don't mind using it as the cosmetic value isn't as important to me at this time. I can host bigger/more/different pictures if necessary.

View attachment 130098View attachment 130097

Could you provide some pics of the Bow Eye itself please :) ( without the roller assembly in the way of the damage ). Also..can you investigate the inside at all ? do you see cracking or delam in the glass from inside ?

I can tell ya one thing..IF this is a bow eye starting to fail..then its more then just a few smears of gel paste and bondo.

More info and pics are needed please .

YD.

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There appears to be very little if any structural damage. I believe in recalling how the damage "worsened" it was due to misproper trailer fitting. When I purchased the boat, it was with a "new to it" trailer. The original had been stolen, and the PO replaced it just before selling it, therefore I know the fit was less than good. About a year or two into the boat I realized how off the fit was, and how much weight was being put on the bow due to the bow post being too tall. Needless to say, a couple of years really took a toll. All that said, there doesn't appear to be any troublesome damage to the bow eye support. It is still extremely solid, and I can't find any damage to the inside of the hull, however it is extremely easy to access the other side of this damage, so I will re-evaluate this afternoon with better light. PLEASE let me know if you need more pictures or information. I absolutely want to do this right, and higly value the opinions from you all. Thanks!

IMAG0546.jpgIMAG0547.jpgIMAG0548.jpgIMAG0549.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

looks normal to me.....

some stress on the inside.....but no way to know untill the backs side flow coat is ground off.....a quick few layers of 1708 over the inside will do it.

I still think we are in for a simple gellcoat repair here with some minor glass work

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looks normal to me.....

some stress on the inside.....but no way to know untill the backs side flow coat is ground off.....a quick few layers of 1708 over the inside will do it.

I still think we are in for a simple gellcoat repair here with some minor glass work

This is my initial thought as well, but I do want to do this only once, and the right way! What is 1708 and do you suggest I do take some of the interior layer off?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

There appears to be very little if any structural damage. I believe in recalling how the damage "worsened" it was due to misproper trailer fitting. When I purchased the boat, it was with a "new to it" trailer. The original had been stolen, and the PO replaced it just before selling it, therefore I know the fit was less than good. About a year or two into the boat I realized how off the fit was, and how much weight was being put on the bow due to the bow post being too tall. Needless to say, a couple of years really took a toll. All that said, there doesn't appear to be any troublesome damage to the bow eye support. It is still extremely solid, and I can't find any damage to the inside of the hull, however it is extremely easy to access the other side of this damage, so I will re-evaluate this afternoon with better light. PLEASE let me know if you need more pictures or information. I absolutely want to do this right, and higly value the opinions from you all. Thanks!

View attachment 130329View attachment 130330View attachment 130331View attachment 130332

No matter what..you Must remove the Roller Assembly to do the repair..so why not do it now and take pics and show the totality of the damage..

This is how I would investigate/repair this situation ..

1. Raise up your bow Via the trailer jack. ( Chaulk the trailer so it does not move ).
2. Put a support under the Keel where the Stem ends ( where the sweep of the bow goes flat on the bottom ).
3. Lower the trailer jack just enough to release the pressure from the bow roller assembly.
4. Loosen and pull back the bow roller assembly back to inspect the Eye bolt. ( normally this is done on the trailer side..not the roller assembly itself ).

5. Inspect the damage if it was from the bow eye. It could be from your roller but I highly doubt it from the pics.

Take PICS !! and post.

See the thing is..you have (from your pics) a Bow Eye problem. First your 4th pic shows that your Eye has Nothing for a Backing.

There is NO backing plate for your eye..just a washer and a nut with another threaded Eye inside the rope locker to secure the anchor line.

You really need some kind of Backing on the INSIDE of the Eye.

There would not be much "structural damage" from a bolt or two going through fiberglass in and of itself..its like punching a hole with a spear.

All of your Bolts (especially the Bow/Trailer Eye) should be backed up with wood or alum. Fender washers ETC.

Your pics do not show this Backing Block.

Clean the area out ( Inside and outside ) .. post some pics from there please.

YD.

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will get more pics loaded today. How difficult is this work to do? I think I may have found one more area as well and I'm afraid I'm getting cold feet... I don't mind the work, but am worrying about the cost and if I can get it right :(

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking for motivation and or reasoning to consider trading this one in... Don't think its for much more reason than new boat bug, but need to be sure.

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, don't think that come across right. What I wanted to say was need motivation to know I can do this, at a fair price, and I can do it right! I like the boat, almost have it paid off, and I know I can do this! So, here are the pics requested. As mentioned, if you need more, let me know! I think my biggest fear of this whole thing is rebuilding the molded type areas. If it was a flat piece, I would done gone done it! haha
IMAG0554.jpgIMAG0555.jpgIMAG0556.jpg

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The middle picture is some cracking a little bit higher up. Am I best off just basically rebuilding the whole bow of this baby? And what is the best way to rebuild the molded areas?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Does not look all that bad to me tip.

Appears the boat kissed a dock or something..but nothing structural ( just double check on that bow eye ).

Do a little die grinding to remove the "bad/damaged" stuff to start with. ( eye protection is required )

I would start with a Fiberglass Stranded structural filler. I know its tricky with those radis'... but be creative using tape or stir sticks or ( make your own form thing ) to help with the initial shape on the first fill.

Do the grinding and post up some pics when your done with that okies :)

YD.

tipitina

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome! Thanks for all your help Doc! Can you tell me what materials I might need to do this? I would like to have them on hand before start the grinding. Would you recommend a small grinder or a bigger 7" disc grinder? I'm thinking a little small drill tip size grinder or even hand sanding may be the best for the smaller areas? What grit/grinding pad should I start with? And I'm well aware of the eye protection and the long sleeves! Been down the itch road before unfortunately... Sorry for all the questions... Also, how do you recommend I double check the bow eye, as well as reinforce it?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Will get more pics loaded today. How difficult is this work to do? I think I may have found one more area as well and I'm afraid I'm getting cold feet... I don't mind the work, but am worrying about the cost and if I can get it right :(

dont get cold feet.

this is so easy, it will surprise you.

the cost will be less than 150 dollars with all the extra things like a 4 and one half inch grinder, sand paper, and all the rest of the stuff.

after you do this......you will never be afraid of any gellcoat repair or crack ever again.

pro cost to fix that will be around 500 bux

oops!

Supreme Mariner

p.s.

im going to let the doc help you with this one, as too many cooks spoil the broth.

if he is away for a while, just pm me and ill jump right in...

but in the mean time.....click the link in my sig,,,,,in the index....look for a simple gellcoat repair.
also in the stickys at the top of the forum, i think yd did one for you to follow.

cheers
oops