Gelcoat cracking - new boat

Matt S

Seaman
'07 Glastron GT185. Was under the boat on my back for the first time waxing it and found what you can see in the pictures. The pictures make it looks like this is a seam or joint of some sort but I didn't notice that when I was taking the pictures so I dunno. The boat's never been beat except for the normal stuff. As in I've never lauched it off waves to the nether regions when it's full of people. Or even empty for that matter.
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• GelCoat3.JPG
    GelCoat3.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
  • GelCoat2.JPG
    GelCoat2.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
  • GelCoat1.JPG
    GelCoat1.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 0

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Gelcoat cracking - new boat

Get out the warrantee and see what it says about cracking. Could just be jel coat stress cracks, or could be a structural problem starting to show. Either way I would not expect gel coat cracks to show up on a new boat. Maybe after 10 or 15 years, but not in the first.

Read the warrantee, then go to the dealer with the boat and make a claim. I suspect the dealer will not be as happy to see you now as he was when he sold you the boat.

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

Almost looks like there is an impact spot there. The cracks all stem from the same spot.
Any dings in that area?

Matt S

Seaman

There's no dings or anything. I'm curious as to what the dealer might say I was supposedly doing or hit?

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

If there isn't any dings,dents in that area then I would assume it was a defect. If you hit something it would show. If it was because you rode the boat hard and the impact of the water was to much for that area, then it's their deal.
I would want nothing less than a new hull. That's a bummer man, Good luck and keep us updated.
P.S.
Doesn't Glastron have a lifetime warranty on the hull?

freddyray21

Commander

I too would take it to the dealer. The gel coat on the hull should hold up much better than that.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

What part of the hull is that? It does look like there is a seem, or a redone seem, that is failing.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Also look at your boat insurance policy and see if this type of problem is covered.

Matt S

Seaman

Thanks for all your help here guys. I'm going to call the dealer in a few to get the ball rolling. I really appreciate the sanity check.

There is no evidence of any impact anywhere near this area. I assume that impacting something to cause cracking of this magnitude would leave a very visible mark at the site of impact.

I've treated very old boats MUCH worse than this over my lifetime and have never experienced any gelcoat cracking.
The only other blemishes are scratches on the front keel as launching at a couple local lakes with no docks requires beaching the boat (keel guard on order).

I figured out the "seam" in the picture is just the trailer "axle" - the bar between both tires playing tricks on the camera. The cracking is just forward of this so pretty much the middle of the boat. But not the middle of the keel. The "center" of the crack is about midway between centerline and the hard chine; starboard side.

The waranty is vague at best on how it treats gel-coat cracking.

Matt S

Seaman

I called the dealer and they said it's nothing to worry about and the next time it's in for a service plan on them having it for a week or so to repair it under warranty. They didn't sound like it's any big deal at all. Hopefully it's as stress free as the phone call was. Thanks again.

BoatAddiction

Seaman Apprentice

Just my opinion and not meant to further worry you: Even if the cracks are solely in the gel coat, something is causing it. Either there has been an impact or something is flexing under that gel coat. Again, this is my opinion and I could be wrong. Maybe some fiberglass hull experts will chime in here.

You may find this article to be interesting:

http://www.islandcoastboatworks.com/Newsletters/marina2_article.htm

tommays

Admiral

It is a VEC molded boat :confused: not really much chance for a person to do bad layup work

VEC_cellOpening_main.jpg

Tommays

Matt S

Seaman

Before I bought I did alot of research on the supposed VEC hull and it's lifetime warantee. I'm no boat builder and the little I could learn that wasn't considered a trade secret is that main basis of the VEC is the machine putting the outer and inner hulls together between some sort of foam injected in a process thus creating a sandwich of fiberglass and this foam. There is a spot in the outdrive cutout I can see this sandwich, from behind the motor. It looks pretty tough and seems it would lend to denting more than breaking.

I was told the gelcoat is sprayed on though I'm not sure if it's before or after the VEC process. The dealer stated sometimes the gelcoat is too thick in spots and can't flex as well. The area of concern, in my own personal conclusion as the boat hasn't even been seen yet, would lend to some pretty thick gelcoat..

In any event I called, they said it would be covered and it's no big deal so if it gets worse then...it's covered and they weren't interested in pictures or any speedy appointment. I can't imagine these cracks could lend to a structural problem given the location but as I said, I'm no boat builder... This boat has the least amount of flex than any boat I've driven. I'm pretty amazed actually.

Oh and thanks for the link. Good article!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If it was mine it would be sitting back on the dealers lot! I wonder how they plan on repair?
I would demand a replacement of the whole boat!!!

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

If it was mine it would be sitting back on the dealers lot! I wonder how they plan on repair?
I would demand a replacement of the whole boat!!!

Ditto...
A "repaired" new boat doesn't sit well with me.
Good luck.

MWBROWN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gotta wonder if they dropped it and then tried to fix it.
Happens to new cars all the time.

Just a thought.

Mike

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Gel coat doesn’t just crack. 9 times out of 10 it’s a structural flaw that is allows the underlying fiberglass to flex which causes the gel coat to crack.

What concerns me more is that your dealer says don’t worry about it, we’ll fix it the next time your in, which leads me to believe that this is nothing new to him.

Had that been my boat it would be sitting in the dealer’s lot and my lawyer would be doing all the talking.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I would right NOW bypass the Dealer (for the time being..he's been notified anyway, and just the middleman), and contact the Manufacturer. Take some good pix, numbers hours of use, and say this aint gonna cut it. Theres something there that aint susposed to be

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For those who know from experience, what is the exact repair procedure the dealer will likely use to fix these cracks - just wondering.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I think the dealer would try a patch job just to hide the cracks.That will not solve the real problem with the hull.
Take the advice....skip the dealer and go after the factory.
Something structural is going on with that hull...