Gel coat repairs??

CharlesRiver

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All,

Looking at a 2005 regal 1800 LSR, and it looks great except a few marks. the marks are totally through the gel coat, about the size of a quarter, port side, down low.
I had the owner take a few pictures of it for me, and I am not sure how scared I should be... I will try to attach them...

Any thoughts?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gel coat repairs??

Nothing to be afraid of, they are cosmetic issues only, they can be left as is or fixed.

CharlesRiver

Seaman Apprentice

ok, are they deep enough that they need to be built up with gell paste, then covered with a spray?

tpenfield

Staff member

think of the scratches on a boat like a scratch on your arm.

You'll need an Evercoat "Match and Patch" kit, and maybe a small can of white gelcoat, if the scratches are long or deep. Probably no need to do any fiberglass buildup or anything like that.

Then you may need some clear plastic (like the stuff that school report covers are made of, etc), because the kit does not always have enough of that stuff.

Some 600, 1000, and 2000 grit sand paper and you are good to go.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

ok, are they deep enough that they need to be built up with gell paste, then covered with a spray?

Spray would be a good idea .. but leave it up to the Pros to help you out on how to fix a simple gel spot ...

YD.

CharlesRiver

Seaman Apprentice

What kind of money should I expect to pay, if leaving it to the pros?

briangcc

Commander

Last summer, I paid $300 for a repair of a crack on my '05 Four Winns. $70 was for the color matching gelcoat, the rest was all labor. The crack that was repaired, was probably 3-4" long.

If that helps you any...then again, it's also dependent on the marina you're dealing with.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Last summer, I paid $300 for a repair of a crack on my '05 Four Winns. $70 was for the color matching gelcoat, the rest was all labor. The crack that was repaired, was probably 3-4" long.

If that helps you any...then again, it's also dependent on the marina you're dealing with.

A simple repair for a small crack or chip will probably be about the same .. 3 hours plus materials.

So 300 bucks is a good deal for a well stocked marina.. there would be NO expense from them ( or little ) for the gel Match. Aztec surf white is all 4W used for years and years .. and it matches perfectly. .. so using 1-2 ounces of the gel is Nothing when you have a factory gel color.

However .. a simple chip in lets say a cream or camel color can ruin a glass guys day. It could take up to 4+ hours to match a creamy white .. and multiple sprays.

If you get away with 3-600 bucks then your ok if your dealing with a marina or a dealer. You can get it done much cheaper if you find a good guy that does it on the side ;) .

YD.

CharlesRiver

Seaman Apprentice

So, it appears that I might not need to worry about doing any gel coat repairs on this particular boat... My rother in law went and looked at the boat, said everything looked pretty good, and the boat was in good shape. But he didn't comment on how it ran. The owner got concerned as it was runnig rough, and he was concerned so he took it in to get checked out. It seems the boat has some kind of engine damage, freeze and split somewhere...

Concerning....