Gearcase compatibility: Smacked a log yesterday...............

sutor623

Rear Admiral
As luck would have it, finally got the old girl up and running again, heading up the river, and BAM!!! Was going about 20MPH, and we hit a submerged log. Thank goodness we weren't running WOT. Anyways, I put some pics up to show the extent of the damage. Put about an hour run time on the motor after the incident. Boat was in the water maybe another 3 hours total. Drained the gearcase and there wasn't any water in the oil. Man that stuff is thick when its 20 degrees outside! I looked and looked and there are no cracks in the casing. I think it is just cosmetic, although I am still very disappointed.

Mainly I just want to know what HP and years gearcase will fit my motor. E130TXAOR (1995 130hp V4 looper). I know the 120-140's are compatible, but it seems that all the V4 looper gearcases will work (including 90 hp)? This is the large gearcase with 15 spline prop. Trying to find a spare or parts gearcase so that I can either have a backup, or restore one to have if this one ever starts to take on water.

I sanded it down some to get a better look:

Last edited:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
"Put about an hour run time on the motor after the incident"

If it was more than cosmetic I expect you'd have heard the gears grinding...

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If it's working and not leaking (no water in the oil) sand it down and refinish it and run it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
SEI probably makes a replacement for less than $900. If yours fails, I would look there versus a used gearcase of unknown wear.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Thanks for the input guys. I sanded her down to bare aluminum, and fortunately there are no punctures through the aluminum. Got super lucky on this one.

I still would like to get a spare gearcase. Honestly I dont mind refinishing it and re sealing it, maybe even putting in a new clutch dog. Would just like something to have as a backup. I hear the V6 gearcases will bolt up, but may need a different shift shaft and has a different gear ratio. Is this true?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Glancing blow by the looks of it, dang you got lucky that it wasn't dead on. You could repair the ding with some JB or Marinetex and paint it up good as new. If so be sure to warm up the surface with a heat gun first.

Great idea to have another parts motor on hand, it could save you a ton of money and missed time on the water. :thumb:

phillnjack2

Ensign
what on earth are you doing ? just put some jb weld on the thing rub it down and re-paint it.
that area is built tough , so dont worry about it. if your scared then clean it up and get some ali welding done then you can rub that down and re- paint.
sounds like you worrying about total nothing, just a scratch. if it had been dead on you would not even see a scratch, its like and egg and very tough on the bullet.
ive smacked concrete with engines a lot faster, even ripped a skeg clean off and the bullet was just paint off, they are made to take a wallop. did the engine flip up when you hit whatever it was ?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
what on earth are you doing ? just put some jb weld on the thing rub it down and re-paint it.
that area is built tough , so dont worry about it. if your scared then clean it up and get some ali welding done then you can rub that down and re- paint.
sounds like you worrying about total nothing, just a scratch. if it had been dead on you would not even see a scratch, its like and egg and very tough on the bullet.
ive smacked concrete with engines a lot faster, even ripped a skeg clean off and the bullet was just paint off, they are made to take a wallop. did the engine flip up when you hit whatever it was ?

Thanks for the re-assurance!! The motor didn't kick up when it hit the log. It didn't even really feel like I hit it that hard.............

I am going to just go with it, as many of you have suggested. What I ended up doing is hitting it with a wire brush on the drill and taking the burrs out. I saw a few spots that looked like gouges, and just wanted to make sure nothing had pierced through, or gotten close to it. After a quick clean-up, I can tell that it is going to be just fine. Doesn't look anywhere near as bad once the paint is all off. I think I am just going to skip the JB and paint it in the spring when it is warmer and I do the waterpump and gear oil service. Take a look: