Gear oil Leaking 1982 4.5hp Johnson

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,
I was in the process of changing the impeller on my 1982 J5RHLCNR Johnson and because I found I needed another part I ended up laying the lower unit on the floor overnight. This morning I found that ALL the gear oil has leaked out of the top of the lower unit from around the water pump housing. Is this "OK" and I simply needed to store it upright or do I need to replace all of the seals beneath the water pump?
Thanks

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gear oil Leaking 1982 4.5hp Johnson

i think you need to reseal the lower unit.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Not even close to "normal". Check the gasket under the plastic housing first.

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick responses! So to be safe I should replace everything underneath the
GEARCASE Cover and seal (Part# 0389837)? This would include the gasket (part# 0324637) plus the 2 drives shaft seals (part# 0324639)? Anything else?

nwcove

Admiral

if you plan to reseal the top, you should also replace the shift rod o-ring, and the shift rod bushing. and jmo, if you're into that far you may want to look into replacing the prop shaft seals and o-ring. ( if you do decide to replace the prop seals, do some research, and be EXTREMELY carefull removing the gearcase head. its a nla part and easily broken)

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

and if you do break it, i have a spare evinrude lower unit.
dino

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again. I was able to update my order to include the additional items (except for the prop shaft seals and o-ring, which I'll save for next winter).

This motor will be used as an "emergency backup" on my whaler that I keep trailered so I should hopefully be able to notice if the seal around the prop is leaking before it becomes a problem.

Dino, if you want to "get rid" of your lower unit PM me, although if they are no longer available you could probably make some good money selling it on ebay or craigslist.

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I finally started this project and I discovered the gearcase cover is in bad shape (cracked where it screws in to the lower end). My question is since I have to replace the gearcase cover should I replace the bearing too (even though it looks fine)? If not is there some way to renew the lubrication around the bearing? Should it be packed in grease like the wheel bearing on a trailer?

domaotc

Seaman Apprentice

Help! I finally have all the parts and the time and now I can't get the shift rod to seat itself in the lower unit. I can see the hole where I "think" it goes into but it won't go far enough down so that the retaining pin is flush with the top of unit. Am I missing something?