Gear oil in water pump???

crowebar

Seaman Apprentice
I just replace the water pump on my 1987 225 Evenrude and tested it and everything was great untill I noticed an o ring that I forgot to install (the one between the metal waterpump housing and the main plastic housing. Probably not a big deal but it was bugging me so I dropped the gearcase again so that I could put the o-ring where it belonged. When I pulled the new water pump apart it had a bunch of gearcase oil in it. Could I have damaged a seal in the lower unit? It was working perfectly the last time I ran the boat and showed no signs of water in the oil. I replaced the water pump because the old one was going on it's 7th season and I figured it was about time.

I wanted to take the boat out tomorrow but now I'm worried. Is it normal to see some gear case oil leak out when you drop the lower unit and change the water pump? Should I bag the trip to the lake or can I run it tomorrow and check it when I get home?

Thanks,

B-Dozer

Seaman
Re: Gear oil in water pump???

If you had the lower unit on its side to change water pump, than yes some could leak out. It did to mine anyway, no problems in 2 years since last changed water pump.

crowebar

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Gear oil in water pump???

I did lay it on it's side for a bit. I'd never had a seal problem before and was suprised when I saw some oil. Thank you so much! Heading to the lake tonight, (weather permitting) and I'll change the lower unit oil when I get home just to make sure, plus it is due for a change. I'll report back my findings. Thanks again! This forum is awesome!