Gear oil in outdrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class
i just got my bill for my vp 275 oil change service, the front cover was leaking, and noticed the shop put in quicksilver high performance gear oil... i thought the 275 needed 30wt non-detergent oil??? also, was charged for 3 hours of work, does the front cover have a gasket or does it need to be sealed with sealant?? im just wondering what took 3 hours of work... thanks

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Gear oil in outdrive?

the sterndrive cover with 2 screws in it with the VP 275 sticker on it

mine was leaking out the bottom...

Attachments

• imagesCAQ29OPK.jpg
    imagesCAQ29OPK.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 0

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

Yup, boat shops aint cheap. Not familiar with the VP but a check in the service manual should give a idea as to how long a job should take.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

no seals on that cover, it just covers the shift linkage on the aft of the drive - i have seen many drives that don't have that cover and work fine, they are just scummy from algea

high perf is okay for duo-prop drives, single prop drives use 30 wt oil

it is possible they installed seal(s) for the shift cover?? - located in the area the large cover in your pic covers

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

no idea, but i want to change it back to 30 wt....

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

no idea, but i want to change it back to 30 wt....

I would want to make sure i was putting in what the manufacturer calls for. There is a big difference between 30wt and 90wt.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I would want to make sure i was putting in what the manufacturer calls for. There is a big difference between 30wt and 90wt.
Not as much as you might suspect though......

Don't confuse SAE 90 (gear oil) viscosity with SAE 30 viscosity.....(crankcase oil)

The numbers don't mean the same thing. SAE 30 motor oil has approximately the same viscosity as 85W gear oil......

SAE 90 is approx equiv to 40 or 50wt crankcase oil.

The API and SAE did this long ago so there would be less chance for mistakenly putting gear oil in an engine! PLUS the high pressure additives would probably cause all sorts of weird deposits if burned in an engine!!

Some transmission manufacturers actually call for using engine oil (or even transmission fluids) in manual transmissions (presumably for improved mileage)

Here's a chart that compares the 2 from http://www.synlube.com/viscosit.htm (they have a great discussion on viscosity etc if you can get by by the marketing BS!!)

(Cant post the image because it's too BIG!!)

Click here--> http://www.synlube.com/images/viscosity_table_2.jpg

Cheers,

Rick

QC

Supreme Mariner

Man Rick, you're on a roll today. Great contributions!! I've been in the engine biz for 30+ years and I didn't know about the gear oil to engine oil scale difference . . . :cool:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It just goes to show..one can turn ANY thread into an OIL THREAD!!;);)

Rob7Dawg

Cadet

i have a duo prop and i got confused on the issue of what fluids to use. a friend told me to use 5 90 in it and i had a heck of a time trying to find it.

here the 5 is actually gl( gear lube) and 90 is the weight.

i went to napa and got there gl5 90w lube and used it, seems to work alright.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

In a DuoProp (or any Bravo) I would one of the synthetic marine gear lubricants or equivalent synthetic marine gear oil.

The marine gear oils claim to be able to handle small amounts of water contamination without degrading.....

From http://www.mercurymarine.com/parts-...cision-lubricants/high-performance-gear-lube/

Specifically formulated to help prevent failures due to water entering the gear housing.
From Amsoil; http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/agm.aspx
Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube SAE 75W/80W-90 (AGM)
High Performance lubricant engineered to meet the demands of marine applications. AMSOIL Universal Synthetic Marine Gear Lube provides:

• Excellent Gear and Bearing Protection even when contaminated with 10% water
///////////
Volvo doesn't appear to claim that their oil will do anything special if contaminated with water......

I think there might be something to the above claims though.......

There's at least one very experienced Marine mechanic (who's user name is related to autobody work:p) here on this site that regularly uses "regular" Mobil 1 Synthetic gear oil in drives with good results......

YMMV,

Rick

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

was told almost the same thing by the volvo mechanic... he said the 90 wt, takes water pretty good... thats why he used it since the older the gears, the more tolerance it has.. whatever imma run it till it blows up anyhow...

thanks for the good points and help!!

Brucetafer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, well after getting everything working 100% on my boat, im really worried about the gear oil... i pressure checked my outdrive and it was perfect, the oil has no water in it... my question again is should i keep the SAE90 or put SAE30 in there...

QC

Supreme Mariner

According to HT32BSX115's chart in Post #8 ^^^^^^^^^^ the AQ275 drive uses "Same as Engine Oil" as per Volvo.

Status
Not open for further replies.