Gear Lube Monitor Reservoir / 2005 Bravo 3/5.0MPI

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
I believe I may have a small leak in my gear lube reservoir. Last season my bilge had blue drive fluid lightly sprayed in front of the motor. Nothing seemed to pool up behind the motor that I could tell. I had the service manager take a look, and they couldn't find a leak behind the motor where I heard the L quick connector to the outdrive can open up. If it did, I don't think I would see drive lube splatter at the front of the motor and bilge. Also, after a couple of trips the monitor gets low. I also visually checked the seals (externally) and didn't see anything.

I am thinking the gear lube monitor needs to be replaced. If I touch underneath the bottle I get a small drip of blue lube oil. I am guessing that is where it is coming from.

Now my dilemma - I don't know which one to get. The nipple that the hose clips into below the bottle points to starboard. There are a couple of options to purchase online. Of course the Mercury Parts directory says left from the front or right from the front????https://webapps.brunswick.com/liter...34c29862e14d7871f2f8e100.e38KchyKbh4Qbi0Obxz0

The ones on ebay have the nipple pointing different directions, can this be adjusted?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ollie

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Here's a pic

Attachments

• photo220155.jpg
    photo220155.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
I believe I may have a small leak in my gear lube reservoir. Last season my bilge had blue drive fluid lightly sprayed in front of the motor. Nothing seemed to pool up behind the motor that I could tell. I had the service manager take a look, and they couldn't find a leak behind the motor where I heard the L quick connector to the outdrive can open up. If it did, I don't think I would see drive lube splatter at the front of the motor and bilge. Also, after a couple of trips the monitor gets low. I also visually checked the seals (externally) and didn't see anything.

I am thinking the gear lube monitor needs to be replaced. If I touch underneath the bottle I get a small drip of blue lube oil. I am guessing that is where it is coming from.

Now my dilemma - I don't know which one to get. The nipple that the hose clips into below the bottle points to starboard. There are a couple of options to purchase online. Of course the Mercury Parts directory says left from the front or right from the front????https://webapps.brunswick.com/liter...34c29862e14d7871f2f8e100.e38KchyKbh4Qbi0Obxz0

The ones on ebay have the nipple pointing different directions, can this be adjusted?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ollie

So far as your question, we would need your serial number, your link does not bring up your motor. The fitting can be turned on the bottle

I'm thinking the barbed fitting and hose may be the issue. Most of the bottles don't go bad, they can, just most don't. How about taking the hose off the bottom, clean the bottle out real good, and reattach. May need to remove a short piece of the hose.

Fun Times

Staff member
Forgot to post your engine serial number.:)

No need for this one though. Your bottle is Merc part number 806193A47...Item number 11, http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...ng&inbr=11681&bnbr=30&bdesc=Gear+Lube+Monitor

Here's some other photos for you to compare from,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=806193A47&_sacat=0

Before buying a new reservoir as they hardly leak, try getting a few more clicks on the hose clamp item # 8 as the clamp being loose is more of a common problem for leaks found under the bottle.

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Everyone. Engine Number is 0W037286 and Drive is 0W255036

I will try the barb and clamp. I wasn't sure if the barb was factory glued or molded to the base.

alldodge

Staff member
Here is your setup, so if it is leaking from the barbed fitting, then a tighten or hose replacement may be the way to go. Note the barbed fitting is replaceable. lube bottle.jpg

Last edited:

OllieC

Chief Petty Officer
Yep - Design 2 is what I have. The question I had is the direction of the barbed fitting - I couldn't find a bottle like in the Design 2 drawing with the barb pointing to starboard. However you all clarified that for me.

Next week the boat gets pulled out of storage!!!!!