Gear lube in drive shaft bellows.... help me fix it

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok this morning i pull my outdrive to start replacing the trim limit switches and lower shift cable.. when i pulled the drive gear lube poured outta the driveshaft bellows... Im guessing its from that yoke seal.. I like to do things my self how do i replace this? But in case how much would a drive shop charge for this? Just trying to get my best options..

DSC00254.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gear lube in drive shaft bellows.... help me fix it

The front seal in the drive is leaking, likely it will need the yoke that seal rides on also. The yoke get grooved after awhile and the seal dosn't seal any longer

jthor3277

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok this morning i pull my outdrive to start replacing the trim limit switches and lower shift cable.. when i pulled the drive gear lube poured outta the driveshaft bellows... Im guessing its from that yoke seal.. I like to do things my self how do i replace this? But in case how much would a drive shop charge for this? Just trying to get my best options..

Yeaup I totally agree! Your yoke seal is gone and letting pressurized gear lube in the bellows. And as I just found out, you can use a speedi sleeve on the old yoke seal surface. Got to love this forum! But the yoke assy alone is short money to replace. Good time to look at your u joints while you're in there! You'll need the special spanner wrench to get the yoke seal castle nut off. Not too bad of a job though. Mark your gears before you remove the upper yoke assemble from the housing. Keep your shims too! You'll also need the upper unit seal kit that can be found on this website or others. Just did mine and wasn't too bad. I had to replace my u-joints though. Best of luck!

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i called my near by mercury authorized dealer.. they quoted me 230 for parts and labor. This includes a new yoke and all the seals plus them doing... oh not to mention i drop it off tommorow at 9 and pick it up weds. worth it to me i dont have the extra cash right now to do it twice incase i blow a gear case or the seal fails again. in time i will purchase the tool and learn on my parts outdrive.. thanks guys