Gear case drain plug washers

pman7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Gear case drain plug washers

TD, any opinion on the magnet plugs?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

absolutely necessary,for bottom plugs. they collect the little shavings, and if a problem big chunks of metal.. sometimes the first sign of trouble.

pman7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One more question TD. There seems to be some question whether or not the magnetic plug will fit my 71 Merc500. Technical Service at Iboats didn't know and Sierra doesn't know.

The Oldmercs.com site says the following:

"Magnetic Gear Lube Drain screw used on many models 1975 and later. Can also be retrofitted to earlier models which use the 10-79953T2 screw if there is at least 11/16" of clear depth available in the gearcase from the gasket surface."

I suppose I can go ahead, measure my clearance and give it a try but I'm curious if you know within reason whether or not it will fit mine and will it do any damage if I measure wrong?

The Sierra part number for the magnetic plug is 18-2375. The plug without the magnet 18-2244. My original parts list Mercury number for the non magnatized plug is C-10-28634.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have no idea, i guess it you buy one plug and install it and rotate the lower and everything clears you are good. it's cramped quarters in there.

pman7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's what I'll do.

Thanks