gauges Starcraft American 18 - 1979

popey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi there

I wrote in an earlier thread about problems with my fuel gauge. Since I am not sure if the gauge or the other part in the tank is the problem I was thinking of changing the gauge first. There are still the standard gauges for the Starcraft American 18 installed. (1979) I think of changing them all, since the temp gauge will not do it very long either.

Before taking half of the boat apart in order to get the tank free I will try the gauges. Has anyone an idea, where I can get the original ones? Would neet at least the fuel gauge and the temp one. If available also rpm, volt, trim and speedometer.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Happy boating - sadly the season here ended just a few days ago - looking forward to the next one, but before the boat will be fixed.

Popey

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: gauges Starcraft American 18 - 1979

Throwing parts at a problem is not a wise way to correct an issue. Why not do some simple testing that has been covered over and over in this very forum. That's what the SEARCH feature is for. But since you didn't, here is a diagram of what the fuel gauge system looks like. To test the gauge, turn on the key (RUN but engine off). "Momentarily" touch a short piece of wire between the "S" terminal on the gauge and the ground terminal. Note that I said momentarily. That means just a quick touch. If the gauge has power and ground, the needle should peg to full. If it does the gauge is good. If not, you need a test light or multitester to check for +12V on the "I" terminal. If present, check for ground. If present the gauge is bad. If not, fix it. If the gauge tests good, there are two things remaining. The pink wire on the "S" terminal may be broken or disconnected somewhere along its length between the gauge and the sender in the tank. Disconnect it at the gauge and use the ohm meter to check it. If you have a rough idea how much fuel is in the tank, the meter should read 240 ohms with an empty tank, 109 ohms at 1/2 tank and 33 ohms full. These are rough numbers. If you get no reading or greatly different numbers, you need to locate the sender on the fuel tank. Take the same readings directly at the sender (threaded terminal to the metal shell). Ensure the metal shell is grounded to the negative terminal of the battery or to a good ground point. If the readings are still wrong, the sender is toast.

Gauge-SenderWiring.jpg

popey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: gauges Starcraft American 18 - 1979

Thank you very much.