Gauge Help

puddle jumper

Captain
I am looking to buy new gauges for my 06 50hp Yamaha. I have been looking at tachometers as I already have a water presser speedometer. My question is how do I know that I am getting the right tack. The tacks that I have looked at don,t tell you if there a 4 stroke or 2 stroke or work with my motor. I also have noticed this with other gauges ;trim,water,oil ect. Will I kneed to contact the manufacture or are they generic in operation. Like most things marine it seems to be brand specific. Thank you for your time.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Gauge Help

You may be better off asking this in the Yamaha section.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Fuel, water pressure, engine temperature. voltmeter, and speedometers are not engine or boat specific. They are generic. Trim gauges are engine specific due to the sender. Tachometers are pretty universal and will operate on either two or four stroke. There are switches or dials on the back to make the selection. Besides, most outboards use the charging system as sender for the tach so the number of poles in the stator determines what the setting should be.

puddle jumper

Captain

Thank you. That clarifies a lot of what i was seeing when I was looking at the gauges in the parts store on iboats.