Gaskets and Bolts for Exhaust manifold and head

msargius

Seaman
Hi all,

I am changing my exhaust manifold and riser. Also the gasket for the head and head cover. The manual as I have read it, does not mention anything about putting perfect seal to the bolts of the exhaust, carb, end plates etc... Put from reading various posts on this forum, I understood it is better, to prevent leakage also to ease disassembly in the future. I persume that this will also be done to the head as well as thermostate.
Also I received two types of gaskets, a paper type and the thick type silver type color. I understand if you are using the paper type you need to put perfect seal on both sides... did I get this right? the other type does not need it.

The other thing is that for the end plates, I received 6 bolts, two of which are stainless, the other four are regular. I only need 4. Does anyone know why they have six in the package, and if I should use the stainless. It is a Barr Marine By EDM part # 1-60252P

I am asking a lot of questions, so I can do it right from the first time.

I have a mercruiser inline 6 165hp

But last not least thanks everybody for your wonderfull sharing of knowledge.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Gaskets and Bolts for Exhaust manifold and head

Ayuh,... I can't think of a reason Not to use Perfect Seal on any, or all of the bolts,...
The carbon composite gaskets are the Best,+ go on dry...

Donno what to tell ya about the end cap bolts,... I Doubt it really matters...
Are the 2 SSteel 1s Drains by chance,..??

msargius

Seaman
Re: Gaskets and Bolts for Exhaust manifold and head

Ayuh,... I can't think of a reason Not to use Perfect Seal on any, or all of the bolts,...
The carbon composite gaskets are the Best,+ go on dry...

Donno what to tell ya about the end cap bolts,... I Doubt it really matters...
Are the 2 SSteel 1s Drains by chance,..??

Well not all gaskets are carbon composite. I have for the manifold as well as the riser carbon composite(no need for perfect seal). The rest carb, end plates, thermostate are paper(manual say use perfect seal on that one) I will use perfect seal on these ones(3).

Also the stainless bolts are not for drainage, the manifold comes installed with a drain. Will just frorgett about them, unless someone come up with new ideas...