gas vent tube problem

c-level

Cadet
I'm having a problem which seems fairly common for older boat owners with different makes. As my boat got older I noticed that when I was filling up the boat it would sometimes overfill from the fill tube unless I would pump it slowly. Yesterday it would not even fill up all the way, it took only a few gallons and then the gas kept creeping towards the top of the fill tube. I did a lot of reading and it was said that a blocked gas vent tube might cause this problem. I removed the hose clamp from the vent tube from the boat, the outer screen is clear and the fitting is also clear. When I tried to blow air into the tube with my mouth it seemed hard to blow. I hooked up my compressor and blew air into it again, it never really bubbled in the fill tube but the gas did rise and overfill.
I watched it and when I released the pressure, the gas went back down the fill tube rather slowly. I tried to also force air through the fill tube as well and heard air come through the vent tube, although not with much force.

The tank says it is made by florida marine tanks, inc. I cannot tell if it is aluminum, it does not have a date on it so I'm not sure if it is oem or has been added later? I am not the original owner. The tank also reads full although I know it is not full because I burned roughly 14 gallons on my last trip and it only took about 8 gallons when I tried to fill it up.

Is there anything else I should check before I take the boat into a shop? I'm sure the hoses probably need changing but was thinking maybe I should also have them change the tank at the same time? If any of you guys have had that done do you remember the cost?

BTW, my boat is a 1989 BW Outrage 18 with a honda BF130 on it.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: gas vent tube problem

Hi welcome to iboats.

this is a common thing.....just hit search and you will get 500 titles.

as for the tank replacement......are we talking about a glassed in belly tank.....or saddlebags in the open?

c-level

Cadet
Re: gas vent tube problem

It's a aluminum in belly tank I believe but from what people have told me the tank should be in good shape. I'm going to try to swap out the gas fill hose and the gas vent hoses myself. Is there any special hoses that are ethanol resistant out now and does iboats sell these hoses as well?