Gas tank

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Is there a good way to tell if your tank is full while filling up. I usually dont fill it too full that it spills out vent but have done it a few times. Just trying to find a good way to do it that it dont spill out.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Gas tank

find out the capacity of the fuel tank, should be stamoed on the tank somewhere

check fuel guage before filling

estimate by what guage reads how many gallons it would take to fill

stop filling short a few gallons and check fuel guage again

Showtime22

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 83 Four Winns I/O spews out the overflow almost instantly. I have to slow the pump to its slowest flow to fill it. I talked to a Marina attendant gal and she said a lot of boats trip the pump stop early.

gss036

Commander

I know some stations have a suction "stick on" tank that will catch the overflow so you get it all over the ground. They only hold about a pint at most. You should be able to hear the air coming out o the tank. If you have easy access there is a whistle device you can install.
Do a search at the Iboats store and it will pop up.

jtybt

Dang! There are plastic vent line fittings that whistle as it's filling. It will change note as it gets full and will gurgle before it over-spills.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I just turn the key and watch the gage rise. After a few time you get to know the tank and the gage. and know haw many galleons it will hold at 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and empty.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If it is quiet, you will hear the sound of the gasoline going into the tank change when it hits the neck of the tank. Stop at that point.

Navy Jr.

^^^^ Me, too. The trick is to keep is running sloooooowww.

gss036

Commander

You can't always rely on the accuracy of the gauge.
I use a NORTHSTAR fuel flow gauge and it is fairly close. I have a new 75 gal tank and after using it all spring and summer and going through something like 100+ gallons of gas, the NORTHSTAR gauge was telling me I had 20 gallons left( I run my Yamaha T9.9 off the tank also and it doesn't go through the gauge) I topped it off with 58 gallons yesterday morning, consider the fuel burnt from the kicker it was close. The regular tank gauge was on empty when I came in last time, I do carry a 3 gal tank for the kicker, so wasn't too worried, buy one never knows.
Like others have said, you just need to get to know how the gauge reads.