Gas tank VENTING ISSUE! Please HELP

scottcab

Seaman
Hello again, this time I am trying to sort out a fuel venting problem.

I have 18' CC with a below deck fuel tank. When I rebuilt the boat and floor 2 years ago, I installed a recycled alum. gas tank below deck. After cleaning and coating the outside of the tank with coal-tar epoxy, All of the hose were installed new, with alcohol resistant marine grade fuel hoses. The fill and vent fittings come off the front of the tank and I installed a new pick-up in the rear of the tank. The hoses are about 5' long and run under the front deck and through a storage compartment under the front of the boat, then up to a fill fitting and a vent thru hull fitting with a screen. After the boat redo 2 years ago, the boat has worked great. The fuel tank has operated properly and the vent and fill worked as designed. My boat has been sitting for 8 months and I am now trying to get her back up and running.

The PROBLEM: now when I attempt to fill the tank with fuel, it acts as though the vent is inoperable. It takes a little fuel, then fills up the fill hose and out the top, the tank is a 24gal tank and it only has about 6 gals in it. Also, when I unscrew the fill cap, there is a release of pressurized fuel vapor. If I leave the fill cap on as it should, instead of vapor escaping from the vent as the fuel boils off and expands, liquid fuel is coming out of the vent fitting. I attempted to blow air into the fill by mouth, and there is a moderate amount of resistance/pressure in the tank. The trailer jack is up high so the boat is pitched nose up (to prevent the fuel from resting on the fill and vent openings). Because of the negative pressure created when running with the cap on and the vent not working properly, the motor doesn't run properly on the on-board tank. The motor runs great on a portable tank.

What I have done to problem shoot:
1) I took the vent hose off the tank and off the thru hull fitting. I removed the fitting and cleaned it up. (it was pretty clean when removed) I blew air through the hose and verified that it is not clogged.
2) I then placed a very small compressor on the vent and blew air in. When I blew air into the vent on the tank, air came out of the fill opening.
3) I then placed a 1 foot piece of vent hose on the vent opening. I then took a shop vac/blower and blew air into the fill opening. Liquid fuel came out of the vent hose and filled the catch can that I placed the hose into.
4) I also made sure that there was no kinks in the fuel lines. The fill hose come off the fill fitting and down about 2 feet, then straight for 4 feet and into a 45degree fitting on the front of the tank. The vent comes in, up about 8 inches(to form a P trap) the down the 2 feet and 4 straight onto the vent fitting on the tank.

I am at a loss. Please help me out here. :confused:

I will update with photos shortly.
Thanks
Scott

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Gas tank VENTING ISSUE! Please HELP

Based on experiment #3 it appears that the vent line is submerged within the tank and therefore cannot pass air (it can only pass gas - get it? :D)

Perhaps the fitting is actually for a fuel pick-up and not a vent?

Also the vent hoses need to travel up hill for their entire distance as they could trap fuel based on the boat's movement and tank 'sloshing' and would not vent air properly.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like your fill hose is laying too flat, and causing the fuel to back flow up the filler neck. No were in the hose should there be a spot lower then the filler neck on the fuel tank.

scottcab

Seaman

thanks for the quick responses,

tpen, The tank had three fittings on it a fill, a pickup(small, about 1/2" and threaded) and a vent (barbed 1/2" alum) sticking off at a 45.

woody, there aren't any spots in the fill lower than the tank fitting. the hose runs up about 6-8in, then straight 3 feet, then a sweeping 90 up and to the fill fitting.

please keep the ideas coming
scott

Will Bark

Lieutenant

In #3 with fuel coming out of the vent hose when you pressred the tank that is wrong; should only have fumes coming out. Vent opening is probably too low on the tank; all vents i've ever seen come out the top of the tank. In #4 you mentioned a "P" trap in the vent line; if fuel collects in the "P" then the tank can't vent since fuel is blocking the way. Good luck.

scottcab

Seaman

In #3 with fuel coming out of the vent hose when you pressred the tank that is wrong; should only have fumes coming out. Vent opening is probably too low on the tank; all vents i've ever seen come out the top of the tank. In #4 you mentioned a "P" trap in the vent line; if fuel collects in the "P" then the tank can't vent since fuel is blocking the way. Good luck.

Hey Will Thanks for stopping in,
The fuel coming out of the vent is the "problem" that I am having. Instead off vapor escaping through the vent, nothing comes out until the pressure in the tank gets high enough, then it pushes liquid fuel out of the vent.

As to the "P" trap, I am including a photo of what I am referring to. The vent hose simply goes up 6" before it goes down into the tank. The idea here is to prevent water from going in the tank by making it flow uphill (defying gravity) before it would go in the tank.

Do you think that the loop is causing a problem? Not sure how fuel could block the vent line at the P.

Thanks again,
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 1

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

There should be a loop at the top.
Could be the vent is lower than the fill??
Tilt the boat?
Draw a diagram of your setup.
NEVER EVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVEREVER use compressed air in a fuel tank!!!!!!!!!!IT GO BOOOOOMMMM!!!!!

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Using a shop Vac, even the blowing function, is a bit risky. "Blowing", pressurizing the tank and line - as soon as you stop or lose seal on the filler opening, fumes are gonna rush back. I see nothing wrong with compressed air. There are no sparks involved as in a shop vac. I drilled a 3/8 hole straight through a tennis ball - stick the compressor nozzel in one side and press the ball over the filler opening. I do this to drain bad gas form boats and done it a dozen times.