Gas tank vent

Eddie Ray

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it possible for a gas vent placed to low on a boat ,to allow water into the gas tank? I have a nineteen foot caverelle ,and when I get into rough water I seem to pick up some water? I noticed the vent seems placed kinda low on the outside of the hull. I removed the line and blew air into it ,seems to go directly into top of tank. And the stainless fitting on the hull is just a couple of screened holes. Just wondering if this might be a possible entry point of water. Thanks Eddie

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I remember reading years ago from David Pascoe's website that it was his opinion that most water in the gas came from leaking fills and vents, rather than condensation or ethanol hydrophilia.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I think water can enter a fuel tank via the vent. If you make a high loop in the vent line, it should help to keep water out, while still venting properly.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There are also other kinds of vent fittings that are more splash-proof.

chrome dome

Petty Officer 1st Class
that is how we suspect salt water got into our fuel tank, destroying a 2 month old motor despite having two fuel filters,
try and put a up and down loop in the vent line and try turning the fitting itself so that it doesn't collect water as easily, so that it is angled backwards,