Gas tank running position

Westcoaster888

Seaman Apprentice
I have limited storage at the rear of my boat, and I'd like to use my red plastic tank in the upright position (handle up) to reduce the footprint. Is this OK? Thanks in advance for any info.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The tank won't fit under the splashwell? I guess you are talking about the Fiberform?

If you run with tank upright, the chance of leaking is increased. Also when the fuel level drops and pickup is no longer submerged, you'll be running ot of gas. The tank will end up flat any way.

Westcoaster888

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks. Right you are about the Fibreform. I'll compromise by stowing only my reserve upright and lashed to the boat. The in-use tank will lay flat (sideways) in the bilge, but I've been keeping the gas tank in a plastic container to keep any gas out of the bilge. It's just a tad too big to fit in there that way.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Do you have a leaking tank? Replace it and dump the bin. Not seeing the boat, without the bin, both tanks might fit.

Westcoaster888

Seaman Apprentice
No leaks, but the container is just in case. But even without the container, two tanks won't fit.

Westcoaster888

Seaman Apprentice
Speaking of leaks, the mechanic who installed my new Tohatsu 50 on my boat put in a fuel line filter, but no demand valve. Do I need one? I haven't had any issues yet in the broiling heat. I always make sure my vent is open, but that's it.