Gas pouring out of the front of all three carbs on a Sport jet 90

sledman11

Cadet
Picked up a 1995 boat the other day that has a sport jet 90 engine. It had not been run for about a year. When I fired it up I had pull the cover off of the 3 carbs so i could squirt some gas in to get it going for the first time. She fired up and once the gas from the gas tank worked its way up to the carbs it start pouring gas out of the front of all three carbs. I figured the inlet needles were sticking so I pulled off the carbs and cleaned them and replaced the inlet needle on all three carbs. When I pulled them apart they were actual pretty clean. Just put the carbs back on the boat and it is still doing the same thing. I am pretty sure it is happening on all three carbs. Any suggestion as to why this is happening would be greatly appreciated.

Don

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like the floats are sticking.

Other possibility, but less likely is it’s cross firing with a bad ignition. Means the wrong one is firing out of time with the intake of fuel. You’d likely hear it though.

sledman11

Cadet
Sounds like the floats are sticking.

Other possibility, but less likely is it’s cross firing with a bad ignition. Means the wrong one is firing out of time with the intake of fuel. You’d likely hear it though.

Thanks QBhoy for the suggestions. Motor does not sound bad when running so I don't think it is an ignition problem. Hard to imagine that all three inlet needles are still sticking after I replaced them and clean the seats. I am going to take the carbs back off and verify the floats are adjusted properly. Again it is hard to image that all three floats are out of adjustment. i will also try putting a hand pump on the fuel connection and applying some pressure to see if I can figure out the path the fuel is running thru. Thanks again.

prlwng

Seaman
On a merc 60hp I had, carbs flooded out in fast river. Dropped anchor then shut fuel off. Let the cabs run dry. Opened fuel, hand pumped it up. She run good after that. Never figured out why they flooded out for sure. Could of been several things.

kinda spooky tho when you you in 5mph current and engine sputters.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Could be floats are heavy if the foam ones, float levels off or fuel line degrading internally and small debris holding needles open.