gas mix ratio

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a new to me 2001 Johnson 70 HP that the previous owner disconnected the bro. He told me to mix the gas to a 50:1 ratio. Is this correct?

alldodge

Staff member
I have a new to me 2001 Johnson 70 HP that the previous owner disconnected the bro. He told me to mix the gas to a 50:1 ratio. Is this correct?

As a non-expert, my opinion is: To much oil has never been an issue except for fowling plugs. The 50:1 ratio will work, just look at your plugs ad see how its working. My 2 cyclce gear has run for years using 100:1 but I'm also using synthetic oil, not outboard motor oil. Wouldn't even try 100:1 with regular oil

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Just make sure you use TCW 3 oil. I like the oil from an outboard manufacture.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
It's made strictly for outboard motors. You don't use in your car or vice versa. But the decision is yours.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
It's made strictly for outboard motors. You don't use in your car or vice versa. But the decision is yours.
The TC stands for "two cycle". Specifically formulated for 2 stroke motors. I'd recommend using it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
TCW...........Two Cycle Water cooled. You don't use it in your chain saw which is air cooled.

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just curious though. What's the difference between water cooled and air cooled oil. I thought 2 stroke oil was 2 stroke oil

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Just curious though. What's the difference between water cooled and air cooled oil. I thought 2 stroke oil was 2 stroke oil
Air cooled engines tend to run much hotter than water cooled engines. The Oil spec reflects this.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you would read the container(s) that the TCW oils are packaged in, it states that it can be used in TC-W3, TC-WII, TC-W, TC, and outboards engines, snowmobiles, chainsaws, lawn mowers, weed eaters and any other 2 cycle engines... So Skip all the hoopla and use them with confidence... I have used 2 cycle oils without any issues in any two cycle engine for years. So much for 2-cycle oils I guess!

rpatton

Petty Officer 1st Class
So in lay men's terms, you could use ,say your chainsaw 2 cycle oil in a water cooled outboard but it's not recommended to use the tow in your chainsaw.correct? In a pinch I have in the past used just regular 2 cycle oil in my outboards with no issues. Or maybe I was just lucky, I'm not sure

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The difference is in the detergent. TCW has a low ash detergent to keep ring free, etc. But it is not suited for high temperatures. That's why air cooled engines are supposed to use a high temp oil. But do whatever you want to do. I do. I use full synthetic TCW3 in all my air cooled lawn equipment all the time, with zero problems.

As a side note on all this, in order to be labeled Certified TC-W3 and bear the NMMA logo, it must be submitted to NMMA for testing, and pass the test. If it does not say Certified or does not bear the NMMA logo, either it has not been submitted for testing or else it was tested and flunked. And I suppose there are some that just don't play the game.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Now I'm curious, who gives the TC-W3 designation? I'm old so I remember when we just grabbed whatever 30W was laying around and mixed 2 stroke fuel. Nowadays I buy whatever semi-synthetic TC-W3 is on sale and run it. I'm running two 25* year old motors with no problems so I'll keep doing that. I'm about to replace the 1976 55hp with a 1991 50hp, not because of any running issues but because I found a T/T motor for a good price.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Interesting, thank you. I think I'm going to grab up a couple gallons of the Pennzoil Marine XLF blend. It seems to fit the bill across the board quality wise for the best price.